So how busy are places you are going to right now?

Today was Joetsu Kokusai in Niigata.

It was much less busy than I was expecting. The main slope in front of the hotel was fairly crowded, but further out and in the Atema part it wasn't so busy and in those places didn't wait for a lift, and they weren't full capacity by any means.

Snow wasn't brilliant. Decent up top but sugary lower down - they need snowfall.

Other places?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found a mix, sometimes rather busy other times not that busy, but I think in general this year maybe less busy accross the board, due to much less snow than usual and of course the economic situation not being good at the moment!

I posted some numbers a few weeks ago for New Year over Minamiuonuma.

My observations - very quiet on weekdays (having to look out of an office window at almost empty slopes on a fine day is unfair!), fairly busy on weekends though still when I went to Ishiuchi on a Sunday it wasn't that bad. Just a minute or so before getting on a list.

Nozawa wasn't 'busy' as such, but lots of foreigners!

In Hakuba

overall figures are down from last year,

Foreigners about level though Western foreigners are up, not so many Korean visitors this year. Good increase in Russian & Chinese.

Japanese visitors sharply down.

It's a busy week in Niseko (probably the busiest of the season) with Chinese New Year visitors from SE Asia. One ski school had their busiest day ever yesterday (few of them really know how to ski well so lots of lessons biggrin )

Again I have never experienced this but are there big queues of people waiting for lifts generally?

I can imagine being a real nuisdance to everyone as a beginner and falling over when those lifts come up behind me. The pair lifts don't slow down, right? Perhaps I should stick to one of those that slows down!

Weekdays - no waiting at all PWL, round these parts anyway.

Weekends - maybe, but nothing too bad this season from what I hear. Again, round these parts.

You'll find that you will ALWAYS want to use the faster quad lifts PWL. Pair lifts are sometimes unbearably slow (though almost seem to "speed up" just as you get on them, haha).

Weekdays were always really quiet. So quiet that it felt a little spooky.

Given the economic news coming out of Japan these days, there will probably be stiff competition for liftie jobs and no one on the slopes in the coming seasons. It looks pretty grim.

Quote:
And the J-crowds are a fickle bunch; too much snow or too little snow and they're off to akihabara.

To a certain extent you can understand that. Skiing isn't cheap. There's all the hassle of getting there, accommodation, eating out --- and then if you get there conditions are pretty awful. I can understand people deciding not to go faced with that.

Fact is, most people aren't 'hardcore' or whatever you want to call it.

I really can't say how often I'd go if I lived in Tokyo or somewhere where it wasn't snowing.

Even now though, living on the doorstep, I'm not going again until we get decent snow. But then again, perhaps it's just the fact that I can pick and choose that lets me do that.

I can totally understand someone not spending all that cash and time to get out to rubbish conditions. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't.

See that is the thing if you live near a ski resort you can pick and chose when you go. Bad snow don't go, Good snow Hit it.

The problem for us ski lovers is that we have to work so many things around getting to the snow that if it is a bad season and we are booked TO BAD!! We can't just go okay they are having a great season LET'S GO!!

I really think the Aus Ski Fields are going to feel the pinch this year. With Japan most of us were all booked and paid for months ago. BUT will we be able to afford to go next year????????????????? sadface

Yes like I said snowhuntress, I totally realise that I am in a good place that enables me to pick and choose. I just understand why some people would not go given lack of snow (especially those day trippers - realise that a longer trip is a different story).

Being in this nice location, I'll do what I can to help with info when I can and share photographs to let people see what it's like.

friend

Well I'm 70-80 minutes or so away from it.

Was thinking about this weekend but the thought of being miserable in the rain just doesn't appeal!

I think I'll wait for the next snowfall.