• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Nope, not at all double/triple standards. One comment was bigotted; your's, even though the original idea was discriminatory against you, was not bigotted

That go me confused. Was it:

"One comment was bigotted. On the other hand, your's, although....."

That's just being a little unsually neurotic and paranoid though Thurs. Unless you are in the habit of licking your hands straight after a shake or if you have an open cut on your hand then there's little to worry about. The skin is a pretty good protector.

I agree with you GN, although I am carrying antibacterial scented hand cream in the car at the moment (Japanese Cherry Blossom - mmmmm!). Reason being I am doing a lot of interpreting work in hospitals at the moment - nothing like a bit of a precaution in situations like that

I have also found success using antibacterial gels etc when travelling - airports and train stations etc can be horrid for upset tummy germs. Every little bit helps.

But I would still shake an outstretched hand (just make sure I washed or antibac'ed it as soon as possible afterwards).

I read this thread with a lot of interest. Hey, you guys are all right.... having said that,

You can't judge a book by a cover (old saying applies here) and one has to be responsible for your emotional reaction. Quite frankly, It's none of anyone's business how one dresses up. But you can take advantages of "society accepting you" by the way you dress. Dress codes, judgement, psychological power-play apply in many situations around the world because a lot of people are convinced what you wear is what you are.

Let's go back 30 years, Most Japanese will look at a Scottish kilt and consider that as a women's skirt, but at the same time they have a traditional Hakama that looks like a skirt.

Most Aussies have salongs and wear it like a skirt rapping it around the waist and wouldn't have a clue that the men in Bali wear it differently from women and if you are there they'll laugh at you.

About Japan. Double Standards. It's called "hon-ne and tate-mae" I wouldn't call it an art, but you are required to understand it and accepted if you are Japanese. If you don't you are considered incompetent.

Australia has a lot of them, too. It is illegal to be racist but how do you enforce that? There are racist lawers, doctors, (shall I start calling it racially sensitive people so I don't rub up people's feelings?). Now, when I went to Australia in '76, it was still white Australia policy. Anywere north of Brisbane was no go when you are Japanese and you get called names. in a way you knew where you stood. I can avoid going to a racist doctor or lawer, but now I don't know who's OK, do I? Everyone is so good at wearing masks.

Sorry, now I am side stepping.

Hey, Mamabear. That's how the Japanese ended up as a race that has weak digestive system with no-resistance to germs. Bit of germ is a good thing. Makes you tough.

Can't say that of water, though. razz

cheers everyone

Tubby, i'm certanly not a clean-freak. i just think shaking hands is a silly (albeit harmless) exercise. the origins of the action (the demonstration that you arent carrying a knife or sword) are now lost and definitley no longer relevant

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
Tubby, i'm certanly not a clean-freak. i just think shaking hands is a silly (albeit harmless) exercise. the origins of the action (the demonstration that you arent carrying a knife or sword) are now lost and definitley no longer relevant

No longer relevant in the same context, but the implication is still the same, "I'm a friendly person and its nice to meet you". There is no need to indulge in the show of masculinity by squeezing the life outta the offered hand, you may say its to show its futility but i reckon different. Each to their own though, but if I offered to shake your hand when I first met you and you declined I would find it very rude. Human society is littered with "silly gestures", but these gestures have developed over time and are important cultural markers that convey a wealth of meaning. Without which I fear that our lives would be less colourful and a hell of a lot more confusing and suspicious

you would have no problems from me tubby, if you proffered me your hand, i would drop my sword and shake your hand with respect.

On the other hand, i would not necessarily offer my hand first. I am a casual person, and hopefully my hello and smile would be sufficiant to suggest that I'm still an nice person, and still pleased to meet you.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Most Aussies have salongs and wear it like a skirt rapping it around the waist and wouldn't have a clue that the men in Bali wear it differently from women and if you are there they'll laugh at you.

jynxx, I don't know what parts of Australia you've been to, but there are a grand total of ZERO Aussies I know who wear a sarong. (note, not a salong!) - BTW I live and work in country NSW, not in the city, and not in the tropics! And, I'm 60 years old, so have met quite a few Aussies in my lifetime!

MOST aussies wear, for work, a shirt and tie with a suit. Thise who work outside wear either shorts, shirt and hat OR long pants, shirt and hat.

Mate, course no one wears them to work. Down at the beach in summer, I'm talking about.

Like, Bronte, Northern beaches, Byron... admittedly people wear boardies these days. It's not the 80's any more.... The fabric look and dreads have gone out of style.. unless you go to Nimbin razz

I am now in Germany but I have lived in Oz for over 20 years (lost count)

BUT, the simple fact is that MOST Aussies do NOT live at the beaches! You have lost touch, mate. MOSt Aussies do NOT wear salongs (or even sarongs!) I have lived here 3 times as long as you, I think I have a handle on what MOST Aussies wear.

I thought most of the population in Australia live on the coast. well, that's what I was taught. I have heard your opinion countless times by people who live on the land, Nimbin is not typically Australian, but nor is Tamworth where people pretend it's Nashville and wear cowboy hats and boots like yanks... yeah, right..I've lost touch. The Olympics and Howard fu(ked up oz pretty bad I and I reckon a lot of people lost touch when there's a lot of racial tension and violence. I went searching for a place where it's easy on asians. There's no way I can live outta Sydney, or other major cosmopolitan town like Byron or Nimbin.

And Most Aussies are not born and bred white Anglo-Irish, either. Who the hell are these Most Aussies... Australian values are a myth nowdays..

I bet you are talking about the crowd who wears things from Lowes, Kmart.. brands like KingG, Yakka...

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
...The Olympics and Howard fu(ked up oz pretty bad I and I reckon a lot of people lost touch when there's a lot of racial tension and violence. I went searching for a place where it's easy on asians...

Just out of curiosity, Germany is more "easy on Asians" than Australia? I'm not familiar with Germany's recent track record regarding ethnic diversity.

This isn't a dig on Deutscheland - I'm really just curious.

Ezo I think if you're not Turkish then Germany is an ok place to live. I have to say that I really love going to Germany, great beer, nice food and hot frauleins!!

JA don't most Australians live on or near the coast? Ok maybe they don't actually live ON the beach but for a huge majority, the beach isn't a kick in the arse away.....right?

Digging into the guys spelling is a bit low as well, knowing as we all do the problems that Japanese have (I'm assuming he's Japanese) pronouncing the "R".

The beaches around SE Asia are littered with pasty Anglos from both the old and new countries swanning around in Sarongs and "finding themselves" So perhaps the beaches in Oz aren't teeming with wraparound skirt wearing blokes but when away from home it is a definite trait that I witnessed first hand.

Gareth.....no worries mate, nice one thumbsup

O.K.

Most Aussies live on the costal fringe, meaning the 50-100 km green belt that hugs the coastline.

I have lived practically on the beach-or not far from it- for all of my 43 years. That's Sydney, Newcastle and the small town I live in now. I have almost never seen a man wearing a sarong, even during the eighties. Maybe they did but I didn't see them.

i don't think JA was having a shot at Jynxx's Japanese/English language translations. More like he was defending the attack by Jinxx 'Aussie values'

He said

"I went searching for a place where it's easy on asians. There's no way I can live outta Sydney, or other major cosmopolitan town like Byron or Nimbin."

insinuating that if you step one foot outside of a 'cosmopolitan ' town you will be confronted by racist small town red necks. Which is absolute bollocks.

Sounds like another disgruntled ex-resident that didn't fit in and now wants someone to blame.

To be fair Mantas maybe that was his experience. He said that he first went to Oz in '76, and the feelings back then were probably different to those felt now by your average Aussie to the Japanese. It was only 30 odd years previous that there was the very real threat of a Japanese invasion with darwin etc getting bombed so I can well imagine that feelings were less than friendly especially compared to today. I would always say that scotland is a pretty tolerant place BUT I have never been on the other side of the fence there and perhaps from a minority viewpoint its a little different to how I perceive it, I don't know. So he lived there for a bit and felt this way, you can't seriously turn round and say that he's talking bollocks.

Good point TB. There was a lot of anti-japanese sentiment around in Oz after the war, and for good reason.

I'll stand by the bollocks comment when he makes statements like.

" I reckon a lot of people lost touch when there's a lot of racial tension and violence."

There's not 'a lot' of racial tension and violence. In fact if you dismissed that small area of Sydney, there's practically none. I live in a small town that's predominantly Anglo and the few asian (and other denominations) families that live here are quite happy with there lot. To suggest that they suffer racism here is laughable.

Why does everybody love to play the victim?