Yesterday I was at Nozawa Onsen. It's not too far away from where I live, usually takes around 70 minutes (though in yesterdays wheels it took an hour). As the bird flies it's just a (fairly) quick trip to the other side of Mt Naeba.

Anyway, the snow was good up there. It wasn't busy but at the same time noticeably busier than the resorts round where I live mid-week. There were also a large number of foreigners there - all I spoke to were Australians. It was very noticeable and must have been a fair % of the total number of people on the mountain. That too is very different from round where I live.

One other thing I noticed. I think the mountain scenery around Yuzawa/Minamiuonuma is better than at Nozawa. razz

Lots of great tree scenery though.

I really like Nozawa. Bombing down Skyline is a lot of fun and there was lots of untouched areas to play in.

The day started off cloudy but the weather improved as the day progressed.

Here's some photos.

muikabochi_1005.jpg

muikabochi_1011.jpg

muikabochi_1009.jpg

muikabochi_997.jpg

muikabochi_994.jpg

muikabochi_995.jpg

Myoko da!

muikabochi_989.jpg

muikabochi_986.jpg

More in my gallery if you're interested.

niiiiiice!

On a good day Nozawa is as good as any place in Japan I reckon. The flats are flat but early runs on the front slopes at full tilt can give you genki for the whole day. I wish I could have spent more time exploring it. There looks to be a nice off piste run from the top (looker's right) down through the trees to the board park area. I've never done it though, but it looks doable.

Muika,

How close (as the crow flies) is Naeba to Nozawa? I have this idea that they're miles from each other?

Thanks. I'd guess around 20km, Rag-Doll.

Nozawa is just to the west (with a touch of north in there too) of Naeba. One of the Naeba climbing routes goes up from that side near Tsunan which is close by so it isn't far. Probably 90+ minute drive from Naeba though!

Quote:
In the Myoko photo, which are the resorts we can see there?

Not sure but I thought it was Ikenotaira, Suginohara, Akakura from left to right. Someone else will know better!

And - whats that little resort in the foreground?
Originally Posted By: Cheeseman
We are going to Nozawa this weekend (probably).
Can't wait.
Hope we get fine weather, after lots of snow of course.
biggrin

Still deciding which cheese to take. Perhaps Gouda.

If you're looking for someone to donate cheese to, I'll be at the ski school ^_^;

Wonderful photographs.

My family and I really like Nozawa Onsen. There are good wide slopes for my children to enjoy and I can spend some time with more challenging runs on the other side. The village is good also, we like the onsen.