There was an avalanche here on Thursday.

It began off piste, cause by a group of 3 germans (not sure if they were skiing/boarding or a mixed group, not that that matters).....they were in a known slide area, but were expereinced punters.

One died.

It could have been much worse because the slide came down over not only an intermediate piste, but also a walking trail. I know it took out two english skiers who were part of a group of 6, but they are believed to be ok.

Our family was in as the visibiliy was not real good and the runs are not as clearly marked as we have come across before which made it far too easy to end up off piste and in trouble with kids, so none of us were involved.

Take care guys. Happens in an instant!

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Our family was in as the visibiliy was not real good and the runs are not as clearly marked as we have come across before which made it far too easy to end up off piste and in trouble with kids, so none of us were involved.

Sorry, Mamabear, I forgot to mention that bit to you before. How are you finding the terrain otherwise? Have you skipped over the top to Cervinia for a Pizza yet? Youe lift pass is valid there, if you bought the right one.
There was an avalanche here on Thursday.
It began off piste, cause by a group of 3 germans (not sure if they were skiing/boarding or a mixed group, not that that matters).....they were in a known slide area, but were expereinced punters.

One died.

It could have been much worse because the slide came down over not only an intermediate piste, but also a walking trail. I know it took out two english skiers who were part of a group of 6, but they are believed to be ok.

Take care guys. Happens in an instant!

Hi, please try and get your info right and don't just report what the news says. The guy who died was a friend of mine and many people here in Zermatt. It happened on Tuesday, he was not German and he was very very far from being a punter!! As for the known slide area.... it had been blasted. It is a very sad week in Zermatt.

Triftji, as sad as it is of course, what is Mamabear supposed to do other than "just report what the news says"? Less than ideal as it may be, that is where most people get their "news".

Sorry to hear about your friend dying.

Originally Posted By: big-will
Triftji, as sad as it is of course, what is Mamabear supposed to do other than "just report what the news says"? Less than ideal as it may be, that is where most people get their "news".

Sorry to hear about your friend dying.

I know no harm is intended.
Originally Posted By: Triftji

Hi, please try and get your info right and don't just report what the news says. The guy who died was a friend of mine and many people here in Zermatt. It happened on Tuesday, he was not German and he was very very far from being a punter!! As for the known slide area.... it had been blasted. It is a very sad week in Zermatt.

My Apologies Triftji, and welcome to the Snow Japan Forums - I wish it could be under more pleasant circumstances that you found us.

The Thursday mistake was a typo, particularly as I put that post up on Wednesday night. the other information, my apologies - it was just what I was told by a local....I suppose she got the info from TV and friends. There was nothing but the Obama Inauguration on my TV that day, much to my annoyance.

I certainly meant no disrespect to your friend, and my heart goes out to him and also to you for your loss. It is indeed a massive trajedy. You might have noticed that we tend to have most serious accidents, avalanches or lift failures reported on here by members. My main motivation in posting this thread this week was to let my fellow members know that my family and I were all safe. I know that if I knew one of the guys was in Niseko or anywhere else in the world when it slid I would be checking in regularly until I knew they were safe....as I have limited internet access since my laptop got damaged a few weeks back I checked in with the details I had at the time. I am so sorry that you lost your friend.

All the info I related was told to me by a local who was really sad that the mountain had claimed another life. It certainly toned down our holiday, and we have not gone back to Shcwarzee. My first indication that there was a problem was the Helicopter flying over the village which it does not normally do, and doing repeated trips....Papa thought they were training, but I really felt uneasy. The first I knew there was a slide was when a resident in the building in which we were staying did a door knock to try and account for everyone in the building. I can assure you, we did not know your friend, but we were sad that a fellow snow sport enthusiast was taken doing what he loved.

I also think maybe my Aussie use of punter is different to your own...we use it in the form of `player` so when I said experienced punter the meaning I was trying to convey was that I was told the fellow who died was experienced. I meant no disprespect.

My Condolences.

Keba - yes we went over to Cervinia...It was wonderful! The dining was not up to the Zermatt on mountain standard but the runs were great. My little man did not enjoy the run from the top down to where you turn off - it was a bit windy and cold and he really let us know, crying and tanty throwing until we bought him a hot chocolate! I also had an epic stack following him down and not watching where I was going. I did some damage - thought I had cracked a rib - so riding for the next few days was tough work!!

Gimp - Hey, no dissing Niseko! I love Niseko. But yes I have pics and will do a full TR when I get back and my lappy screen is repaired. CHEESE included Thursday and Cheeseman.

Leaving tomorrow morning to do the Germany leg and then home. Sayonara.

My little man did not enjoy the run from the top down to where you turn off - it was a bit windy and cold and he really let us know, crying and tanty throwing until we bought him a hot chocolate!

That's my lasting memory of Zermatt too. Without the tantrum.