• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have packed most of the things in my list above (less a few items not required for this trip) into 3 bags:

Check-in Ski Bag: 1 x pair skis + 1 a set poles = 7kg

Check-in Bag: Boots, most clothes, shell jacket, gloves, helmet, goggles, toiletries etc. packed fairly tightly into a smallish duffle-type bag (that isn;t quite small enough to be a carry-on bag) = 12 kg

Carry-on Backpack: Docs, Wallet, Cards, Cameras, Chargers, Cables etc., some clothes = 4 kg

Total Check-in luggage = 19kg

Total Carry-on luggage = 4kg + worn clothes and fleece jumper.

JAL stipulates 20kg max total Check-in luggage, + 10kg max total carry-on luggage.

Sweet.

One thing I have not packed is my pocket (swiss army victorinox) knife, though I would like to - I know it could only go into Check-in luggage - what do you reckon'? Are they ok to take (in Check-in luggage)?

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
unless you are trevelling business class, all of that gear would definitely exceed your luggage allowance (and probably the capacity of your bag too

Nope.
(See above)

I don't have a laptop, walkie-talkies, camel back, but if I did I could fit all those and a power board and mains voltage adaptor into my carry-on backpack and still be well under the 10kg mark for that bag.

I'm not taking any ski repair tools or heat pack (cuz I can't find it) either, tho I could fit those in my backpack as well if I chose.

And I have added nothing to my ski bag in with the skis and poles.

Mmmm, not long now..

I recently travelly Cathay Pacific with a limit of 20kg. My bag weighed nearly 24kg and they didnt question it, in Perth, or Narita.

I travelled to Singapore last year via Qantas, and my carry on with laptop was 8kg, which exceeded the 7kg limit. the guy told me to take out the laptop, which dropped it under the limit, then after he'd weighed it in, told me to put the laptop back in the bag lol

somewhere else on this forum, someone mentioned that if you phone ahead and advise them of your skis, then they will probably take them without extra charge - worth a phone call!!

Same here. They were being paritcularly fussy about hold luggage but didn't seem to mind if I stuffed the surplus into my already bulding hand. They even had a table out next to check in ready for people to move things round, seems they were asking a lot of people to do it.

Seems bizarre when the holds for the carry on luggage are almost always over stuffed full.... I hate boarding the plane early (who wants to sit in that seat longer than they have to?) - but if you leave it too long you get to your seat and there is NO space in the hold for your (within the weight limit) bag...Grrrrr.

what?? we board in order. Thee Marco Polo members alsways go first so we can hog all the luggage space.

By the way, the new biz seats on CP gives you a whole luggage rack to yourself. And I hate the way they are faced 45 degrees in.

If your luggage is a little over weight you know you can wear all your clothes, even if you ware 10 layers doesn't matter. If they don't fit over the top you can stuff 'em up under your shirt etc. Then when on the plane just take them off. they can't refuse you or stipulate how much clothes you can ware or the weight of them, nor can the stipulate that if you yourself weigh over a certain amount you will have to pay an excess fee but they were looking at doing this a little while ago.

I think that is a good point.

My ski boots are the heaviest items in my luggage, and the skis, I wonder if you're allowed to wear ski boots to board. I know you can walk around Tokyo in ski pants and boots in 20'C heat, but boarding a plane? Dunno.

I arrived at checkin once very late, to the point where theyd 'closed off' at the boarding gate. I was advised that theyd already given away my economy seat, but if I ran theyd see what they could do for me in the meantime.

rotten buggers made me sit in first class biggrin

I was on Singapore airlines once (economy) and I didn't like the either of the two choices of food they had for their meal. So, they brought me this fat, thick, juicy steak on a huge white plate with sides from first class! The passengers next to me were sooo jealous!!

Oh yeah but seriously if you need to shake down some weight from your luggage, yeah wear your damn ski boots too, seriously!! They really can't do jack about it. They might not like it but TS! Shove your other shoes down your ski pants for good measure and go do some shopping!! smile he he.