Hehe, don’t think we'll be trying any Michelin restaurants, but we're hoping to go for a Kobe steak in Tokyo before we leave. Mmmmm.

I’m hoping money wont be too much of an option, got about 170,000 yen for the holiday (all accom is paid for and I’ve got 50,000 put aside for lift passes & 20,000 for the train fare). Do you think that should be enough??

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yappy - I hope you've already changed your money - the pound is currently buying a mere 126 yen!!! Everything in Japan is now exactly DOUBLE the price it was last summer for people from coming from the UK!!

Originally Posted By: Yappy
Hehe, don’t think we'll be trying any Michelin restaurants, but we're hoping to go for a Kobe steak in Tokyo before we leave. Mmmmm.

I’m hoping money wont be too much of an option, got about 170,000 yen for the holiday (all accom is paid for and I’ve got 50,000 put aside for lift passes & 20,000 for the train fare). Do you think that should be enough??

Jesus, a season pass is like 55,000 yen... lol you planning on staying a while? XD

As for Kobe beef... you could also try Tokyo-X pork as an alternative (and as something that most people would have probably never heard of :p).

Cash is all changed and ready to go smile Well, mine is, can't say the same for our whole group :(

On the lift pass front, we're playing it safe, 5,000 yen a day for 10 days. It's well overestimated but better that than run short.

On the Kobe beef front I heard you could get an 8oz for around 30,000?

Tokyo-C pork huh? Sounds interesting! I'll look it up, cheers Ryoma!

Yappy, don't worry about the cold, Tokyo is not as cold as windswept Aberdeen! smile

Take yer passport out, it won't be a problem, very low crime rate even in a city the size of Tokyo. Which club are you heading to on the Friday night?

Hahaha, you been up to the 'Deen before TB?? Not much here thanks to being battered by north sea winds lol.

I'm more worried about getting so drunk that I loose my passport!! There are 8 of us so someone is bound to loose their passport.

Do any of you know if a UK driving lisence is accepted, or even a provisional?

I think she meant as ID for getting in clubs - a driving license should be OK as long as it has photo and date of birth - I havent tried this though, so if anybody has opinions otherwise. As MikePow said though, for driving, you need to get the international driving permit from the post office.

Club wise - the big ones are Womb and Ageha; a bit smaller Air, Unit. Ageha is cheesy rnb/hip hop on fridays - not my cup of tea. Womb is pretty much always good - more techno/tech house/breaks sometimes DnB. Often packed, quite a lot of foreigners, fancy lights. Air tends to house/techno, not so many foreigners, Unit - pretty eclectic stuff - check the listings. Get a good map of the place you want to go to beforehand and print it out - the coolest places in Tokyo tend to be hidden away - pretty much all of the clubs are hard to find - you could easily walk straight past them and not know they were there!! Taxi drivers wont know the places either.

Hey Gary, I did mean as ID, thank you. Not planning on driving while we're there, not like being in an English speaking country where the roads & maps make sense!!!!

Air & Womb have both been mentioned before, everyone going is really into their techno so that's our aim - find a decent Techno club!! I'll take your advice on the map thing, cheers for the heads up!

What time are the clubs open to? Are there all ngiht pubs?

Clubs are open till about 5 or 6. There are a few all night bars around, but they're a bit hard to find - its not like the UK where you can just turn up to an area, walk around and find lots of lively bars and stuff. The only place like that is Roppongi, but I wouldnt reccommend there. Womb is probably going to be your best bet for Techno - check the listings - its pretty much always good in there whatever the music - even the DnB has a "techy" feel. Ruby room isnt far from Womb, but depending on the night, there might be a cover charge. There are also lots of "izakaya" style japanese bars, karaoke rooms etc, but forget about the British style "pub crawl", it just isnt like that here - you'll see what I mean when you arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

And for a general snowriding trip packing list..

Snowriding Packing List – Updated Feb 2009

1) Examine & Test equipment prior to packing.

2) For Plane Travel – Prepare for the chance your checked-in luggage may be misdirected or lost, by packing the essentials to travel and to ski into your carry-on bag / or carrying with you (e.g. Travel Docs, I.D., Wallet, Currency, Vouchers, Lift Pass, Goggles, Ski Pants & Jacket, Ski Gloves, Ski Socks)

Snowriding Equipment:

Skis

Ski Boots

Ski Poles

Snowriding Clothing:

Socks

Tights / Sports Pants

Knee Guards

Ski / Shell Pants

Thermals (Pants & Top)

Singlets

Icebreaker Long Sleeve Top

Long Sleeve T-Shirts

Fleece Vest / Jumper

Ski / Shell Jacket

Ski Gloves

SkiGee (Goggle Scraper)

Neck Warmer

Facemask

Goggles

Beanie

Helmet

Snowriding Accessories:

Snaplock Plastic Bags

Sunscreen

Chapstick

Small Heat Pack

Ski Repair Tools & Equipment

General Clothing:

Walking / General Shoes

Warm / Casual Socks

Underwear / Boxer Shorts

Tracksuit Pants

Woollen / Warm Casual Gloves

T-Shirts / Tops (Short & Long Sleeve)

Jumper / Jacket

2nd Beanie

Sunglasses

Documents & I.D.:

Wallet

Spending Currency

Credit / Bank Card

Passport

Driver’s Licence

Birth Certificate

Airline Tickets

Travel Documents / Vouchers / Itineraries

Ski Pass

Accommodation Details

General Accessories:

Mobile Phone

Camera with Memory Sticks / Film, Batteries, Charger

Mains power adaptor

Watch

MP3 Player with Headphones, Charger

USB Memory Stick

Laptop Computer, Charger

Pens

Writing Paper

Playing Cards

Coldie Holder

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles drinks coasters

Toiletries:

Toothbrush

Toothpaste

Razor

Deodorant

Soap

Shampoo / Conditioner

Medical:

Inhalers – Relieving & Preventative

Panadol / Pain Relief

First Aid – Band Aids, Betadine, Gauze, Tape, Bandage

---

unless you are trevelling business class, all of that gear would definitely exceed your luggage allowance (and probably the capacity of your bag too!). might be worthwhile checking with yr airline to see what their limits and penalty charges are

ssar - already got my checklist together! Although I don’t bother carrying my boarding gear with me as my insurance and BA pay for everything I need should they loose/delay my baggage – ended up getting completely new kit (jackets, pants, crash pads, goggles, gloves, the lot!) when they lost our stuff going to Mayrhoffen last year, although we did have to hire boards, but hey ho!!!

Thursday, we’ve got 10 days boarding and 3 days in Tokyo.

Only 1 week, 3 days and 19 hours til take off, woohooo!!

Originally Posted By: thursday
how long are you going for?

We (5 of us) will be in Niseko for 12 days (from 19 Feb, upcoming).

My list above is a general list, I won't be taking a laptop myself - perhaps one person in our group will take thiers and we may take 1 or 2 mains power adaptors between us.

Also, our accomm. supplies soap, shampoo and other stuff etc.

Also,
Re: Packing Ski Boots:

My ski boots are quite bulky (and quite old), and whilst I have packed them (tightly) into a carry-on bag for 1 international flight years ago, it was tough to carry and fit said bag into the overhead compartment etc.

I plan to pack them into my checked-in bag (with socks and stuff inside the boots as usual) these days.

Re the power adaptors...

We took two universal adaptors with us on thislast trip around Europe and as we were often in two rooms with 6 people found that this was pushing it a bit when everyone wanted to charge up thier gameboys and ipods and mobile phones before we head off on the next journey....

AFTER we got back Eldest Son came up with a brilliant idea - take an adaptor and a POWER BOARD. For us it would mean 2 adaptors and 2 power boards, but that is a darn site cheaper than buying multiple power adaptors!

Hope that helps someone else.

on the way back from Japan, check:

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/cgi-charge/index.php?lang=_en

Send the stuff you don't need ASAP via surface mail (it takes between 1 month to 4 months) and it's a lot cheaper so you can have space in your luggage for your souveniers. Unfortunately takkyubin doesn't do surface mail so it's not as cheap :(.

I normally send my clothes back via surface mail as I figure I won't be needing them for a bit.

Originally Posted By: Yappy
Hahaha, you been up to the 'Deen before TB?? Not much here thanks to being battered by north sea winds lol.

Yeah been up to Aberdeen a couple of times, I'm from just down the road in Dundee.

The clubs that Gary mentioned are pretty spot on for most needs I'd imagine, i like Yellow as well, which is Roppongi. I haven't been for ages though but you can find club listings online. This is the only reason I'd venture to Roppongi, unless American navy Guys with dodgy tache's are your thing! smile

A nice little early night tip for maximum alcohol and minimum money is going to Shakey's Pizza place in Shibuya, 2000 yen all you can drink for as long as you want, this also includes free pizza and pasta. Sure its not gourmet food but the beer has alcohol in it, they have a set menu from which you can choose your drink.