Hey ho peeps, hope you're all well!!!!

I have a question for ya'll. I'm arriving in Japan on the 15th of Feb, travelling up to Hakuba and staying there til the 26th, then travelling back to Tokyo and staying until the 1st of March. I was wondering what to do on the jacket front? I’ve never been anywhere as cold as Japan (first time boarding out with Europe) and I need to travel as light as possible but not be cold! I’ll take my med weight board jacket to ride in, question is, do I take another med weight board jacket for nights or my heavy weight puffa jacket (which is far too hot to ride in in the UK, but it might not be so bad in when it’s minus 10?). I’m a cold chicken at the best of times. What do you guys take? Any input would be brilliant!!!

Also, I’m only taking SnowJoggers & Ugg boots – will I have any probs getting into clubs in Tokyo wearing jeans, boots & board jacket?

Thank you!!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tokyo isn't that cold, so don't worry too much on the coat front when you are going round Tokyo. In Hakuba it'll be a damn sight colder walking around. Getting into a club with ugg boots and a boarding Jacket?? hmm dunno, can't think I've ever seen a dress code, but its been a while since I've been out to a club in Tokyo. Like I say bring a lighter casual jacket to wear round Tokyo, you should be ok

Cheers TB. Might just take my puffa then. Dont want to be cold and it should all fit in my board bag so it shouldn't be too much bother. I'm not a getting dressed up kinda girl, when we're out at home it's just jeans, trainers, etc, not sure what the dress code in Tokyo will be though! I'm only plannig being out on the Friday in Tokyo though so dont really want to bring shoes etc just for that!

Yappy - ahhhh you are a GIRL!!!

I have been on vacation for almost 4 weeks now, London, Paris, Milan, Switzerland and I have ONE pair of shoes. I know - sounds impossible, but I have an awesome pair of black side zip snow boots that grip slippery snoy or icy streets yet look perfectly presentable with Jeans or Black trousers to wear out for dinner or to a play (both of which I have done).

Uggs might be warm and soft and comfy, but they wont stay dry in the snow, and they are not so multi purpose. I reckon if you divide the cost of the item by the times you wear it to get the cost efficiveness of items of clothing these boots would be the most cost effective thing I have bought in years. Wôrth investing in. I did not have them in Japan last year, but I wish I did.

As for snow Jackets, if the puffa jacket is too much just add some midlayers to your packing then you can layer more for a snowy cold day and layer less for a sun peeking through low wind day. It also gives you more options for street wear in tokyo when you have more midlayer tops.

I dont think Tokyo clubs have dress codes - the doorstaff seem more concerned about people making a noise outside of the clubs. The only time Ive ever seen anybody refused entry to a Tokyo club was because either they didnt have photo id or they were too drunk and being cheeky to the doorstaff.

Hey Mamabear

Hehe, it's hard to tell what sex folks are on here huh?? Lol.

Snowjoggers are snow boots, mines are plain black, keep my feet dry and toasty smile I thought I could take my ugg's for something a little smarter but still cosy to wear but maybe I should take smater boots instead.

I'll have plenty midlayers with me, plenty. Dont like riding in my puffa at home, always end up boiling. Might be needed in Hakuba though?!

I guess I'll have to see how much I can cram into my rucksack and board bag!!

Originally Posted By: Gary
I dont think Tokyo clubs have dress codes - the doorstaff seem more concerned about people making a noise outside of the clubs. The only time Ive ever seen anybody refused entry to a Tokyo club was because either they didnt have photo id or they were too drunk and being cheeky to the doorstaff.

Photo ID??!!! I dont drive!! Wouldn't want to carry my passport with me either though - any suggestions?

Some good info in this thread, thanks all!

Re: Jacket - I think I'm just gonna wear my Gore-Tex shell jacket over my fleece jumper when going out and walking around off the mountain etc.

And a little off-topic..

Re: footwear (11 day trip to Niseko, 1st time going there, not going anywhere else in Japan apart from Airports) - what about Sorels (as the only footwear apart from ski boots).. thoughts?

Having already paid for all acomm, transfers, flights, all mountain Niseko ski pass, would you think budgetting for around AUD$100 per day should be plenty? Prolly gonna eat out & buy drinks out a fair bit.

No photo ID = no entry to any of the main tokyo clubs. In Japan, if there is a rule like this, there is no bending it, talking them around, nothing. It is absolutely impossible to enter (unless you forced your way in!) - even if you know the people working there. A photocopy will not do (some Japanese friends of mine were refesed with a photocopy of their passport). If you dont have a driving license it would seem to me that you will have to either take your passport, or dont go clubbing!

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
I'm 45 with a shaved head - will I still need photo ID? (ok i know I still look 21...)

LOL

The photo ID thing is IN in Perth now too Gareth in case you havent dicovered it. A couple of old boilers from hubbys company went out clubbing to 'find themselves again after a messy divorce....and they had to go home and get thier ID! I kid you not. The club they went to said they scanned everyones ID so they knew who was in the club in case of a disaster (OK so how do they know if you have left)

Dont worry too much about that in the ski resorts though....my 15 and 16 yr olds were admitted and served alcohol (and they were 14 and 15 last year)....however the elder boy got told by a bus driver when he presented his high school student pass that he looked 40!!
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

The photo ID thing is IN in Perth now too Gareth in case you havent dicovered it. A couple of old boilers from hubbys company went out clubbing ....and they had to go home and get thier ID!

Ouch.
That just sounds illy.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

(and they were 14 and 15 last year)....however the elder boy got told by a bus driver when he presented his high school student pass that he looked 40!!

Double Ouch!
Poor bugger wink

I noticed last year that a lot of people in Tokyo wear puffy jackets...

For snow, it all depends on your gerth... I only wore my Burton AK Down jacket (20K/20mm) last year, with only a chesty bond t-shirt underneath. That was in -27 deg temps. I'm not skinny, but I wouldn't be called obese either, so having a little extra padding always helps.

In Tokyo at the time you are going the avg. temp would be about 4deg (others correct me of I'm wrong, I'm basing this on the same time last year), I wore a light/medium coat, but because we were walking around a lot, I found myself opening up the front to let some cold in.

lol, all muscle here (apart from between the ears of course - thats pure vacuum!)

I've got a slim(ish) waist so my back always gets cold. ive gotta tuck in my shirts and find the powderskirt is great or keeping the cold out

Originally Posted By: ssar
Some good info in this thread, thanks all!

Re: footwear (11 day trip to Niseko, 1st time going there, not going anywhere else in Japan apart from Airports) - what about Sorels (as the only footwear apart from ski boots).. thoughts?

Having already paid for all acomm, transfers, flights, all mountain Niseko ski pass, would you think budgetting for around AUD$100 per day should be plenty? Prolly gonna eat out & buy drinks out a fair bit.

ssar with regards to footwear, first and foremost make sure you have boots that can be slipped on and off. This is essential in a country where footwear is not generally accepted indoors. You don't want hiking boots as these generally have very hard rubber soles to reduce wear which doesn't grip ice all that well. It's a bit like summer and winter tyres. The winter tyres have a much softer rubber compound that grips ice a lot better and this is what you need in boots for the snow. Don't be one of these knobs for whom fashion is more important than comfort and still walk around in knee deep powder with sand shoes on.

Budgeting wise look to spend say around Y2000-3000 for breakfast and lunch. Dinner with drinks Y3000+. So at least Y6000 per day which is around the AUD$100. You can probably do it a little cheaper and certainly spend a heap more. You can easily spend Y3000+ just on alchohol (that's only 6 beers at a bar).

The woolie ugg boots (you know, the ones with the leather on the outside and the wool on the inside?) are very much in fashion at the moment. If you get a decent pair, you can wear them in the snow while also being fashionable in the cities. Just make sure they're waterproof. Otherwise, there are a lot of fashionable snow-boots around lately (largely due to Dior and Prada's ski/board line from 3 years ago) that you can probably look at. The ones I've seen that I would consider looking good were about 5000-7000 yen so not too expensive.

Re food budget... I think I spent 500-1000 yen per meal. If you venture out and look for the right place, there's a lot of good, cheap meals to be had. But yeah, drink are between 500-700 yen. In Tokyo, I normally eat at a bakery... coffee + pastry/toast/rolls is about 500-700yen. Have like a curry, don-buri or something for lunch... about 500-700 yen again. Dinner you can go out to a diner for about 1000 yen or to a restaraunt for about 2000 yen. Most people will view 2000 yen as being expensive for a meal (even more so if you come from Osaka ;P).

Personally I consider Y2,000 for dinner to be ridiculously cheap. Normally at an izakaya I would spend at least Y4,000 for meal and drinks. But then I'm not going out every night...

Well, an izakaya is a drinking establishment, not a diner so the food is usually over-priced. You can get decent kaiseki meals for about 2500 yen. If you go to the diner type places (normal japanese meals and they often take orders via the ticket vending machines) it's like 800 yen for a set meal (usually get your main, rice, a side and some miso soup). If you go to a yakinikuya or something, a cheap all-you-can-eat is about 2000 yen, a decent one is about 3000 yen and you get the better range at about 5000 yen, but that usually consists of things foreigners wouldn't really eat.

Tokyo's also got a number of Michelin restaurants if you want to try those ;P. I think I recall the meat pie at Shiba Park Hotel costing about 5000 yen.

Originally Posted By: Gary

Am I glad I asked?! Only going clubbing on the Friday night, would have been well scuppered if I’d gone out without ID! Ah well, passport it is, just have to make sure I don’t loose it. Cheers for the info though, much appreciated ïŠ
Originally Posted By: Sciclone
I noticed last year that a lot of people in Tokyo wear puffy jackets...

For snow, it all depends on your gerth... I only wore my Burton AK Down jacket (20K/20mm) last year, with only a chesty bond t-shirt underneath. That was in -27 deg temps. I'm not skinny, but I wouldn't be called obese either, so having a little extra padding always helps.

In Tokyo at the time you are going the avg. temp would be about 4deg (others correct me of I'm wrong, I'm basing this on the same time last year), I wore a light/medium coat, but because we were walking around a lot, I found myself opening up the front to let some cold in.

Hey Sciclone. I'm not exactly fat, but I'm not exactly skinny either! I think all the info here has helped me decide though. I’ll take my puffa jacket (10k, 10mm) and my thinner jacket (also 10k, 10mm) and that should do. I’ll be warm and dry both in Hakuba and in Tokyo regardless of the temperature and, as you said, I can easily wear either jacket open if I get too warm.

Footwear I’m taking my snow boots for wearing in Hakuba and my Uggs for wearing in Tokyo.