OK thanks for that...I don't have a tour operator and I've emailed our accommodation and they've come back with, what seems to be quite expensive price? I was just wondering if there's anywhere in Hakuba that would do them at a more competative price?

Cheers again

Amanda

The problem is that when you buy multi-day passes you don't usually get much of a discount (usually something like a few hundred yen). Also, a lot of the 'discount' tickets are actually for getting a reduction in the price of lunch (vouchers to use in the restaurants) and not a reduced lift ticket price. Which resorts are you going to? How many days boarding/skiing? Do you need only full day passes or will half days do?

You'll be skiing at a few different resorts, which don't have shared pass arrangements (mostly). You'll be better just to pick up day passes at the resort you're sking at each day.

I had the same problem, I thought I'd be able to buy a Hakuba wide ticket but no! I've put 50,000 aside for passes, I’m there for 10 days but will have a day off to go see the Snow Monkeys, but I thought I’d be better to play it safe.

I actually have a document that I put together just the other day that lists prices for SANOSAKA, KASHIMAYARI, SUN ALPINA JOINT, GORYU, HAKUBA 47, HAPPO ONE and HAKUBA MINETAKA, which I can email to you if you like?

I found the sites for LAKE AOKI, IWATAKE & HAKUBA HIGHLAND SNOWPARK but they had no English info available so I couldn’t find the prices ïŒ

I also believe Otari Village is close to Hakuba Village, 10 mins by car (so they claim), this area includes TSUGAIKE KOGEN, HAKUBA NORIKURA & HAKUBA CORTINA KOKUSAI but I don’t have information on these areas yet but I plan on looking into it. Do any of you know what these areas are like??

Yappy - Here for 10 days lots of skiiing then.

Goryu & 47 are on the same pass

Happo, Iwatake & Tsugaike passes can be bought in a Alpen ski package. And free shuttle buses from all over Hakuba

Sanosaka, Kashimayari & Aokiko can be on the same pass. Free shuttle bus to Sanosaka from all over Hakuba

I wouldn't bother going to Minekata or Highland - only 2 lifts at each resort.

Cortina and Norikura at bit more difficult to get to from Hakuba but they can be on the same pass, it seems a Thursday bus schedule direct from Hakuba is going to Cortina.

I can't remember ever paying more than 5000 yen for a day pass. In fact I'm not sure I have paid more than 4500. 50,000 for 10 days will be more than enough money.

Cortina is meant to be awesome on a powder day, but I think ski patrol are pretty strict about off piste. It is more difficult to get to (taxi to hakuba station, train then taxi from cortina station, or taxi all the way $$$$). Also when there were big dumps when I was there they often closed the higher lifts for several days at cortina because of avalanche risk.

If you look at this age on SJ of Nagano prefecture resorts each one you click on shows info on how to get there and the cost of tickets. It says cortina is only 3300 a day!

SJ Nagano Resorts

Buying day passes is a bit more expensive than some multi day tickets, but it gives you more flexibility and a better experience of several resorts in the valley. And if you are unlucky enough to get your pass taken by ski patrol then you only lose it for the day rather than the rest of the week!

• SnowJapan Admin

[We are still going through the 500+ resorts one by one and updating the information (it takes quite a long time) and so if anyone does come across any mistakes then please contact us directly (email or PM) and we will see to it immediately. Thanks]

As an example. From the Goryu website:

Single day: 4800 + 1000 deposit.

2 days: 8500 + 1000 deposit (consecutive days)

3 days: 12,500 + 1000 deposit (consecutive days, all mountain)

5 weekdays: 16,500 + 1000 deposit (non-consecutive weekdays)

There are other deals out there that include multiple mountains and days. Just thought I'd let you know what you are in for!

If you want to ride half day for free at Goryu just stand around the ticket machines around lunch time and when someone returns their full day ticket to get their deposit back just offer to pay them the 1000Y. You'd be surprised how easy it is!

My strong word of warning is that if you buy consecutive day passes make sure to check the weather forecast! Lists all across Hakuba close due to various reasons and there is nothing worse than losing a day that you've paid for because the lifts are closed!! (especially with so many options around wink

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain

If you want to ride half day for free at Goryu just stand around the ticket machines around lunch time and when someone returns their full day ticket to get their deposit back just offer to pay them the 1000Y. You'd be surprised how easy it is!

Not very good to do this...espcially if your caught
Originally Posted By: stemik
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain

Not very good to do this...espcially if your caught

Just out of curiousity, what would happen if you got caught?

I don't think anything would happen... I also don't think they do anything to stop you considering the deposit return machines are beside the ticket sales window. The ladies working at the counter can easily see what is going on... Some people even try to sell their tickets for 2000Yen (making a little something for themselves! a cheeky bugger once asked me for 3000Y)

I read today about people going to tsugaike only to find that the most important lift was closed. They then tried to sell the passes and were told by mountain staff not to try or they would call the police. Just one example.

Sanosaka runs some discounts a day a week. They do have some men's day and ladies day that sells real cheap lift tickets.. And it's for all three resorts. I believe sanosaka buses starts from echoland onwards. Personally i kinda like sanosaka except for the transition between the three resorts.. smile

Cortina has coupons for lunch/ticket/onsen package. You could get it online or I'm sure some hotel/B&Bs should have it. But you've gotta sort out your transport there though. Not exactly very accessible if you're not driving.

Hakuba 47/Goryu.. One of my personal favorites. You could probably get the three day pass there. Good thing is that it doesn't have to be consecutive days. I'm not sure if they've changed the ruling this year though.. Anyway you can always check at the counter.. They do have english speaking ticketing counters.

I've gotta agree with

Happo.. the multiple day passes has to be on consecutive days. nuff said.

Tsugaike... If you're staying around happo it'll be easy.. Buses leave from Happo. If you're in echoland or further.. then you've gotta take a bus to happo and change from there... Getting there is no issue but i guess you'll have to plan ya return right. As the last buses from Tsugaike might not be able to get you on the last bus to echoland.. Once you're there.. stay at the top. Gondola takes forever to the peak... and it's way too flat on the bottom anyway..

A relatively small resort Yanaba mainly operated for the parks is cheap.. last year was 1000 yen per day and i think they're still offering the same this year.. You could either catch a JR direct to the resort.. or the expensive way - cabs...

Agree with stemik... skip minekata and highland.. smile

and if you ask me ... the happy 7 deals aren't that great..

• 1 month later...