Hi. Does anyone know of a company doing day trips to shiga kogen to ski and see the monkeys leaving from nozawa. It is a bit of a mission by train and with skis and boots even harder. It might be ok to get to shiga, ski then leave the gear in a locker and bus down to the monkeys and back up to shiga to get gear and go home. Bit annoying though and a company day trip would be much easier. Otherwise could just leave the gear at the start of the path or at the petrol station, as it is japan and theft isn't that common. A recommendation for a day tour would be much appreciated though. Thanks

Doing the monkeys AND skiing at Shiga Kogen as a day trip from Nozawa is really cutting time short btw. 45 minutes to the monkeys from Nozawa. 2 hours getting to, seeing and coming back from the monkeys. 30 minutes to get up to Shiga Kogen. SKIING TIME. 1+ hour to get back to Nozawa. Hardly leaves you with much time for that skiing. I certainly wouldn't do it.

The monkeys are a good half-day trip from Nozawa.

Shiga Kogen deserves at least a few days.

Just my thoughts anyway.

I have skied a week at shiga before. My girlfriend wants to see the monkeys and I don't want to miss a days skiing to do it : ) so thought could combine them. It isn't that long by car from nozawa to shiga and thought leave early and quick stop for an hour to see the monkeys might make it a feasible day trip that someone in nozawa may offer.

It takes an hour or so to walk to and from the monkeys from the car park. There's little point in visiting them and just seeing them for 5 minutes. I'd recommend an hour or so there.

I agree, that is one tight day trip and unnecessarily rushed. And I doubt there is anyone offering that either. One of the other - yes.

I'd ask the place you are staying at in Nozawa..... they might even take you there themselves.

friend

New IXSM shop has been set up at the gift shop underneath Haus St. Anton (at the O-yu road). I don't remember the price but it's pretty cheap to go to the monkeys.

They only set up shop early this year so I don't know much about it but it seems alright. I think the guy at the desk speaks English (if that's a point) but I think it's worth checking out.

thanks again

we might go to the monkeys "on our way" back to Tokyo from Nozawa. It's always the way with my trips to Japan, trying to fit other things in around as much skiing as possible. Will check out IXSM shop though. If they leave early a half day skiing at Shiga then an hour or so at the monkeys might be a good compromise if they offer it.

Apparently ixsm go from nozawa to the monkeys on wed and sun. They leave at 1pm and back by 4 or 5. It is 6000 yen. Not sure if that includes the monkey park entrance fee. Their office is opposite foot bar apparently (maybe just a booking agent?). They will go other days too if you can fill a van.