Was due to leave this Thurs for 4 weeks but looks like on Monday I wont have a job... If thats the case will be VERY hard to justify the 4 months mortgage payments the trip will cost... But if i still come.

Myoko Jan 24 - Jan 29

Noz Jan 30 - Feb 5

kyoto Feb 6-7

Hakuba Feb 8 - Feb 17

Tokyo Feb 18 -21

PP you have made me very sad sadface What sort of job? I think you should still go but maybe not for so long. Is your trip already paid for?

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, there are a lot of people out there in the same position.

Sorry didnt mean to drag this thread off topic...just needed a vent when I 1st posted and appreciate everyone's concerns and thoughts. Im an Environmental Scientist in the mining industry and most companies are culling folks so the prognosis isnt so good. Its been a heavy 24hrs and I wont know my fate until late Monday. At this stage Im packing my stuff - to put away.

Please understand that I am in a better position then most, being single, having toys I can sell if times got too tough with the mortgage etc. Its just luxuries like this trip that will go if I am unemployed on Monday. Planning and not getting there again would suck beyond belief but I have at least one mate, prob two that wont live the year out so its pretty easy when looked at from that context.

If you all dont mind perhaps we just put this thread back on topic and I'll post Monday and let you know if in exactly 7 days Im going to be in Myoko eating sushi after my 1st day on the mountain or something else. Thanks again everyone.

• SnowJapan Admin

Very sorry to hear that panhead_pete, and I'm sure that represents how everyone else will feel. I know how much you are looking forward to that. Feel free to open up a new thread if you want of course. Best of luck with everything.

Sticking with the off topic news¨for a bit.....

Pete that royally sucks!

I am so sorry.

Last January there were the 3 families that went to N with us last year all going again and it has only been us that actually made it to the snow (and not N!)this year. They all had to cancel thier trips for various reasons some financial as well. SUX!

Feel free to answer in a new thread come Monday if you prefer, but would you be prepared to work outside the mining industry in any old job if you lost this one and others were not forthcoming with the downturn in mining?

ON TOPIC......

Not going to Japan this year saddly. Papa was talking about buying me a v expensive watch for my 40th which is in March and I reckon for that money I could eek out a week for two in the Japow - or make a signifigant contribution toward buying a snow property in Oz.... Fingers still crossed...

Well I didn't exactly choose to live here at first, but sure am glad I was put here! It is a luxury to be able to pick and choose when to go out and be able to do it with minimal hassle.

Basically I go out when there's blue skies, a lot of nice new snow or both. Twice a week is good if I can make it.

Wow sorry to hear about your situation that really sucks. I hope everything will work out good for you!

I went skiing this weekend again, but not a luxury for me as I am close to ski resorts anyway. But I understand how much of a luxury it is for many, and feel sorry when I hear people having to cancel.