Looks like I will have an unexpected 5 days free(ish) from March 29th - April 2nd.

Want to go somewhere with a good chance of OK spring snow and not too crowded - with the other half & kid.

Kinda her "graduation from Kindergarten & entry to Skool congrats present" Ain't I a good Dad.

Seen enough of West Japan this season and not so reliable at that time.

Can't afford to fly and living here in Kagawa all decent resorts are a hike.

Driving to Gifu (Dyna, Takasu etc) is about my limit (6-7hrs) in time & highway fees, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Maybe some place you know has really good spring discounts on lifts, accomodation & the like.

I'm all ears - big appreciative ones. \:D

Don't like your chances for Gifu at the end of March as most resorts will be closing down then. Gumna is where we go as it has a few resorts open until the end of April. Marunuma is one of the better ones as it's fairly high. My wife and I are heading there for a week from the 26th.

Thanks Dougy - i think Gunma may be the place to be but beyond my reach as far as driving goes(12+hrs ???)

I'm hoping with the extra cold/snowy conditions some other closer areas will be hanging longer than usual - if we don't get a pisser of rain.

Any other forecasts for late march?

Hum... snobee, my place Hakuba is probably more than 6-7 hours drive from Takamatsu.

Do you drive Takamatsu - Sakaide - Okayama - Tsuyama - then Chugoku Exp. way all the way to the east?

Gamera - If I go east I always drive Takamatsu - Awaji - Kobe to Chugoku exp. It's quicker & cheaper than Seto Ohashi.

I guess I don't really mind a long(ish) drive, just don't want to find terrible conditions when I arrive (who does) after the BIG effort.

Would Hakuba take 10 hours or more?

Hum Snobee, I think it takes 5 hours from Suita IC to Hakuba - 4hours for Toyoshina IC driving your car around 100kms/h and anothr 1 hour from Toyoshina IC to Hakuba. Just add the time from your place to Suita. If it's 2 hours, totally 7 hours.

Snobee!

Count on Shiga Kogen, Nagano where snow is almost always guaranteed up until the golden week and much closer to you than the resorts in Gunma. Don't forget snow chains. If you are lucky you will have fresh snow even in April there.

Iwatojin, Ja, we are just the next door neighbors. We have common misery that the snow fields are so far away from us. Last weekend we went to Shiga-Kogen. Nagano-Tokyo shinkansen and Tokyo to our place(Keikyu)is same distance durationwise. We felt envious to the people getting off at Omiya or Ueno.

Snobee, Myoko, Tsugaike and Happo won't be bad choice for end of March.

Thanks for the info guyz - I guess I'll wait a couple of more weeks and see what huey does.

A drive to Gifu would be better than Hakuba, but maybe that's just what I need - a long challenging drive.

Funny, back in Oz I could drive all day and not think too much of it - covered 1,300+k's on my bike one day in daylight hours.

I must be getting older. \:\(

Up high in Niigata is still good then./ Try Arai or Kagura for good snow, even places like Gala and others. There's more snow than usual this year so might be good even lower down than usual