Ok - hopefully this could be the start of a new series of "How to...." on here. After spending tens of, nay, hundreds of thousands of yen on one day tickets, one of my friends helped me out and managed to find me a cheap ticket/pass.

The only problem with this is that you must be able to read/speak some Japanese or be with someone who can help you. Normally, there is a helper at hand in the main stations and if you use the view plaza, on occasions they might speak English.

To start off with - you need to find a ticket machine for the shinkansens. I have attached some photos to help people initially though. Unfortunately, this ticket can only be found under the Japanese menu - tried in English and this first screen is not there.

step 1 -

CA380020.jpg

On the Japanese screen, you need to press ãŠãƒˆã‚¯ãªã‚¹ã‚­ãƒ¼ãã£ã·.

step 2 -

CA380021.jpg

next press this button

step 3 -

CA380022.jpg

next, press this button.

After this is, it's quite straight forward, like booking a normal shinkansen ticket, ie date and time you want to leave, then choosing your train carriage number.

The only catch is, you DON'T enter a return date. With this ticket, you have 3 days after the date of departure to return, eg if you leave on the 16th, you have to get a train back at the latest on the 19th. All you have to do, is on the day of departure, put your return ticket into the machine, and then again confirm date and time of depature. You can use this for reserved seats too.

And if you're unlucky enough to be caught in a blizzard, like what happened to me last year, you can come back same day on it. sadface BUT hopefully that won't happen to you. Hopefully this is clear, but will be happy to answer any questions.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Xil - thought I should share it really. Was looking at the pamphlets today and working out the costs, this is so much cheaper and if you stay at one of the lodges listed on the travel too, can get a much cheaper three day stay than through the JR deals

Nice! Can you also get a cheap ticket to Nagano, or is it just the Niigata area?

Also, for people doing just a one day trip, dont forget you can buy an even cheaper ticket which includes your lift ticket. You need to get them from the View travel agent in main JR stations, at least the day before you go. Its in the Higaeri (日帰り) brochure. Costs about 11000 for the shinkansen to Yuzawa plus lift ticket.

Didn't see Nagano on there to be honest - will have another check again to make sure.

Think most people know about the one day trip - well those that live in Japan do. Personally, I go for the Kagura option as at that price it's a steal compared to Gala Yuzawa.

• 1 year later...

Hey

thought I would post this here as saves creating another thread but it will also help you to save money.

JR are doing a special campaign called tokudane ã¨ãã å€¤ whereby if you book a shinkansen ticket in advance, you can save 30%. I can't post pics right now as I don't have a camera handy, and also at work!

But you can save a lot of money if you live near Tokyo, Ueno, Omiya or Sendai and if you intend to go away for a trip to:

Utsonomiya, Toyama, Fukushima, Sendai, Ichinozeki (sic), Morioka, Hachinohe - on the Tohoku shink.

Yamagata on the Yamagata shink

Akita on the Akita shink

Takasaki, Echigo Yuzawa, Gala yuzawa, Nagaoka (sic) Niigata on the Joetsu

or

Karuizawa or Nagano on the Nagano shink.

One example

travelling from Tokyo to Nagano on the 14th will cost you 5,570, saving about 3,000yen

just go into the view plaza and ask for these tickets. Of course the tickets are one way only, but the return is the same price.

ie Tokyo - Echigo Yuzawa one way on the same date above is 4,540, return 9,080, saving almost 2k on the above ticket!

Of course some periods are slightly cheaper/more expensive than others, but not more so than a couple of hundred yen.

Let's booking!

Turns out I got it wrong - have to book online only! Some view plazas have an internet connection there for you to use though.

Will let you guys know in about 1 or 2 hours how it all turns out.

So picked up the tickets today - you book them online, and collect them at the local midori no madoguchi.

two return two tickets to nagano, leave the 20th, back on the 22nd - 22,000yen. A saving of 9,000yen.