First, I dislike anyone that complains about being on the slopes however yesterday was like nothing I had experienced before with respect to crowds. Happo-One was ike a super highway in grid lock. One friend described the top run congestion like Whistler at the base. Literally hundreds of people, but all strapped in and hooting down the slopes. Next year, and I am coming back, I'll avoid the holiday weekend. Is it a coming of Age Thing?

Well it has been a 3 day weekend, so peak season.

Another thing you can do is try out resorts other than the most popular ones in Japan. There are scores of places well worth a visit that will have been much less busy.

Literally hundreds of people, but all strapped in and hooting down the slopes

That is a good day. Usually when it is crowded, everyone justs sits or stands in the middle of the piste - snowboarders sit and smoke, skiers stand and use those sharp pointy things they carry to point out things to their friends.

Check out the top of Naeba on a busy day. On second thoughts, Ski has the right idea!

I went to Kagura on the same holiday weekend last year - Kagura is a pretty popular resort, but there was hardly anybody there - despite having a good dump of fresh powder - I just thought that this particular holiday weekend wasnt very busy in Japan cos it was straight after the New year holidays.....