Today early on the sun was out so I dragged myself out of bed and drove to Hakkai-san resort. It's about 10 minutes from my house - was on the Ropeway before 9am and able to take some shots before the clouds moved in... and move in they did, very fast. I can't remember seeing weather change so quickly. These pics were all taken between 9am and 10am. It was blizzard conditions in the same place well before 12 noon! (Actually since then, things have cleared up again).

Each time I go to Hakkaisan I like it more. The main lift is the Ropeway and the long course from the top to the bottom gives you 2 choices - difficult mogul runs (nearly 1km long in itself) or a very nice long, intermediate groomed course all the way down. There are a few other easier courses but this place isn't really for beginners but if you like a challenge I'd recommend it. Interestingly enough, when I go there I often feel there are more 'good skiers' there than other places in the region. It seems to have that reputation.

Worth a visit. It's about 25 minutes by bus from Muikamachi station which is in turn 20 minutes or so on the Joetsu line from Yuzawa. By car get off the Muikamachi IC (which is 10 minutes to the north of Yuzawa) and it's about 10-15 minutes drive from there.

More photos here:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/insider/photo_section.php?userGallery=226&userid=muikabochi

muikabochi_936.jpg

muikabochi_934.jpg

muikabochi_937.jpg

muikabochi_946.jpg

muikabochi_932.jpg

muikabochi_923.jpg

muikabochi_938.jpg

No video today and I was on my own so no new attempt at 'action'. wink

Originally Posted By: zdlfskdladealijfsxdfk
The lady says that the current big weekly NHK drama is based in your town and in the opening credits there's a great view from the top of Hakkai-san.

Sorry I missed this - yes thats right.
Lots of "Tenchijin" was (and is being) filmed in Minamiuonuma. The main character was born here.
A few friends of mine have actually been extras.
If you look at the opening credits, at the end when he's stood on the top of a mountain ---- that's Hakkai-san