Just wanted to take a moment to thank the SJ Forum folks and everyone else who has provided me with so much good advice to date, even when I have been a bit all over the place . Its taken two attempts but now all systems are go and in 1 week, 6 days and 40min I start my flight.

Without this board Id be just another Aussie heading to Niseko....not that there is anything wrong with that. Now Im spending 6 nights in Myoko, 7 nights in Nozawa both in Japanese style hotels and rooms. After that a two night break in Kyoto to check out the art and archetecture, then off to Habuka for 10 nights staying at TJ's place. Finishing with 3 nights in Tokyo. To say I cant wait is a complete understatement.

Once again thanks for all your help to date and I look forward to a great cultural experience, meeting some cool people and hopefully some turns in the powder.

• SnowJapan Admin

Well it's good to hear that and thank you for the comments.

We hope that you have a great time when you visit.

wave

It is always very good to hear positive things like this and makes a change from (and almost makes it worth putting up with!) some of the nasty comments, sniping, feigned outrage and politics that sadly sometimes goes on in the background with a small number of particularly vociferous people. That's why this site was made in the first place all those years back by SJ#1 and it is still the underlying hope that we have for it and we do what we can to protect that. So, thanks again and cheers.

cheers

Nice one Pete. Truely in the spirt of what this site should be about and I would like to big ups to the SJ team. I started posting here in 2000 (I think) and the SJ mods have handled everything with the fairness, consistency and professionalism that much of the posting didn't deserve. Never met any of you brothers and sisters but thanks for making this site what it is from when I first logged in 8 years ago clap

This site gave me the lowdown on what I needed to know about the snowparadiso that we have here in Japan and hooked me up with some of the best people I've ever friends made. I don't post now much cos I got too much real life on my plate with work and 2 little girls-so I am often just knackerd and lurking, but I still love this site.

SJ, I work in HR and see or deal with all of the above sort of behaviour everyday. Lots of passive aggressive nonsense and all that sort of thing, and HR is the worst for it lol

Good to see you making it here at last Pete and nicely timed too-even gonna snow in Takarazuka tomorrow. Sweet! I went to HachiKita last weekend and got some rocking powder turns in, often over the top of up some lingering knee high sasa. Those should be dead and buried by tomorrow for sure. Bring on the snow sj

I'd like to echo the good sentiment toward Snowjapan. Japan is the only place I've been snowboarding. It's a passion that was ignited about 8-9 years ago. When I first learned of SJ years back I started reading up on resort reviews as well as gathering as much info as I could about which resorts had the best terrain, etc. It was through this information that I could make a decision on which resort to visit. Each time it's been a great adventure. This site has also been invaluable in helping find various pensions that are reasonably priced. I've repeatedly gone back to resorts which I've enjoyed. But the thing is there are so many more!

It appears that the small community of foreigners who ski/snowboard in Japan has really grown the past couple of years. Sure, that can be attributed to information passed on by word of mouth. But I would argue that it can mostly be attributed to the information found on this site. Thanks SJ for your ongoing efforts to make this site and community such a great resource.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Only trouble PP is that we now expect a HUGE post in the Snow Trip Reports with annotated pics please wink

Haha yeah Im more then happy to do that, although Im sure most will be bored with the commentry, especially those who live or travel frequently in the areas Im going.

Did I mention that in exactly two weeks to the minute I will have already had my 1st turns (and numerous falls) Yeah the guys at work are sick of my count down clock too smile smile smile
  • SnowJapan Admin

Thank you again. friend

Quote:
although Im sure most will be bored with the commentry, especially those who live or travel frequently in the areas Im going.

Maybe for some of those people, but in reality that group of people only makes up a small percentage of the people using the Forums (and an even smaller of the site as a whole).

Many people likely do not realise that. I am quite sure that many people would enjoy reading about your experiences and it would help lots of other people thinking about visiting Japan, just like you were.

You excited are you, panhead_pete? wink

Quote:
I've repeatedly gone back to resorts which I've enjoyed. But the thing is there are so many more!

You are right. That is one reason why SJ#1 has the last couple of years been out and about talking with and advising more perhaps less well known resorts regarding getting their information out (not only on SJ but doing it themselves). You might have noticed more places popping up as Spotlights and Accommodation within this site (for example in Tohoku and recently Madarao). It is a slow process and co-operation is needed from resorts etc - and some are simply not interested - but I think you will see this opening up continuing and it can only be a good thing. We dont' set out to (and don't want to) be a place introducing just a couple of popula places - the idea is everything.

Post away mate. I've spent lots of time in Hakuba but only been to Nozawa once and never to Myoko. Plus I never get to go on long trips so it's interesting to hit the snow viacriously.

Originally Posted By: Soft Landings
I am currently organising a trip that should see me in Hakuba round the 6th of Feb. I will be travelling solo and would be keen to hook up for some runs if your dates match.

like park runs much?
Originally Posted By: Youdy
I am currently organising a trip that should see me in Hakuba round the 6th of Feb. I will be travelling solo and would be keen to hook up for some runs if your dates match.

like park runs much?

Must admit I don't get this whole park thing. Japan gets some of the best powder on the planet and you'd want to waste it by spending time in a park!!? Especially if you're only here for a short holiday...I really just don't get it.

Hey mate will be staying at the Whitehorse in Echoland from about the 8th, come find me and lets go ride smile
Originally Posted By: Go Native

like park runs much?

Must admit I don't get this whole park thing. Japan gets some of the best powder on the planet and you'd want to waste it by spending time in a park!!? Especially if you're only here for a short holiday...I really just don't get it.

razz don't get me wrong for pow days ill be out there for first runs i just like parks more. Dont tell anyone but I really chose japan for the culture and food not the snow:P

like park runs much?

Sorry mate...parks are not really my thing.
Originally Posted By: panhead_pete

Hey mate will be staying at the Whitehorse in Echoland from about the 8th, come find me and lets go ride smile

Sounds great!
Have to sort out some loose ends first, bit of a spur of the moment trip. I have flights booked and time off but thats about it right now.

I've got to raise my glass to the 'Now' guys also. cheers

Enthusiastic, yes, but totally unexaggerated and frank. That's what I like. You certainly don't find that on corporate websites in the ski industry.

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes, we are very particular about that point.... it's another of those 'what we are' things that we are very keen to keep to.

Each has it's own character/style and they generally do a great job and we hope that we don't get on their nerves too much with our requests and comments!

You know, from time to time we have actually had ski resorts/companies complain to us directly for things like saying it's raining when it is raining. Or saying that snow conditions are bad when snow conditions are bad. They actually asked us to lie or omit posting unfavourable info like that, 'for the sake of the industry'. Sorry, but lying to your customers doesn't seem the best way to move forward and we won't, even if it costs us an advertiser or two (as it apparently has done).

PP - would be glad to see your pics - just look at Muika - he's done some awesome pics in the Gala thread. Really makes me buzzed up and itching to go get the same line or try to get the same pics as he got.

Originally Posted By: Go Native

like park runs much?

TBH GN I find that its a boarding culture thing for UKers. The local snow is soo bad or non existent in the UK that most people who ride only do so that once a year in the alps, so for the rest of the time are in Snow dome's or artificial slopes, where for obvious reasons emphasis is placed on park and tricks. I'm sure when Youdy gets over here and sees the amount of real snow, the park will be but a tiny idea in the back of his/her brain!! smile

oops....just realised that Youdy is from Oz ashamed maybe the sentiment is the same?

I doubt I would know about skiing or would be coming to Japan to do that without this site. I'm sure that applies to a whole lot of other people. Brilliant.

Keep up the good work!