I reccomend the Sutton Place Hotel in Ueno.

We have stayed there 3 times & it is always spotless, reasonably priced & some engrish spoken.

The big bonus is that it is literaly right outside the Ueno JR station, like 100 paces, great for catching the early Shink & you can get a basic brekky (included in room rate) from 5.00 am on.

Ueno is also an interesting area to stroll around.

Just need one night feb 15th. I usually stay at a place called k's house in asakusa. Backpacker with private and dorm rooms. Dorms I think start below 3000 yen a night. A bit out of the city though and for one night I'd be happy to pay up to 15000 for a more central hotel room for me and my girlfriend.

I was actually thinking of checking out a love hotel for the night. Anyone tried one. The themed rooms would be pretty funny but are they pretty seedy establishments in general?

Asakusa is pretty central in Tokyo. Its away from Tokyo station but geographically its right in the middle. When you mean central, what is it you want to be central too? ease of access to the airport(s)? Nightlife? Tokyo I guess is more like a lot of smaller cities joined together, each with its own nightlife and attractions

true about the multiple little cities. Asakusa has its own attractions, but I have stayed there 3 times now so looking for somewhere new. It is quite good in Asakusa for access to Narita too because you can take the cheaper Keisei Skyliner train.

Probably like to be in shinjuku or shibuya just to go out and watch the people and the lights and check out harajuku and omote sando. Think we will courier our bags to Narita so with backpacks subway to tokyo station or asakusa to get to the airport will be ok.

Any suggestions?

Have booked Best Western Shinjuku Astina. Something called a semi double non smorking room. the 'semi double' part will be interesting, but the picture looks OK and its only one night. Looks a good location.

11,500 yen for 2 per night inc tax.

The citadines place looks good on its website, but booked out the night we are there

• 4 weeks later...

Best western astina shinjuku semi double non smoking room. Proper comfortable double bed. Newly renovated. Actual room pretty compact but had everything necessary plus more. Even a decent bath. Great location just off yasukuni dori in shinjuku. 5 minutes Walk from station. 11500 yen per room for the night was a pretty good price. Would recommend it but note the actual room size is compact, but similar to other Japanese big city hotel rooms I have stayed in. Home today. Japan withdrawals already set in.

Originally Posted By: indiego
Citadines Shinjuku.. relatively new.. affordable.. decent location.. BIGGER ROOMS.. and it's not expensive..

Just tried it! To add a but more:

Location is about 10-15 Minutes walk from Shinjuku JR, of <5 Minutes from Shinjuku-gyoemmae station.

Hotel looks very new, spotless clean, nice modern design. Rooms are large and have a kitchen too. The restaurant next to the lobby serves only breakfast (buffet). Selection is small, but good and is at ¥640 very economical too.

Will I stay there again: definitely!

If on a tighter budged, nearby is a place called "Hotel ParkInn Shinjuku".