ALrighter,

After two weeks in Hirafu I'll be heading down to Tokyo for 4 nights before I head back to the land of the credit crunch (UK) and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to which area of Tokyo would be best to find accomodation. Its obviously a pretty big place so if anyone knows which area to stay in would be best for good nightlife, good for tourist things, avoids thigns you would want to avoid etc then some tips would be most appreciated.

Cheers guys,

Sammyboco

• 2 months later...

Taxis are expensive so I recommend staying near the action. You don't want to have to piss about with last trains that run long before the nightlife stops. Shinjuku/Shibuya area is best.

• 6 months later...

Apart from the Astil, are there any other hotels that people can recommended?

we're first timers to Japan and are chasing a standard western style room close to the action. any recommendations would be apreciated.

cheers,

Dusty

If you like Tokyo and ueno, just google "cheap hotels ueno japan" there's a travellerpoint website which has ratings on places to stay, and even bookings. It may help you make up your own mind.

But, definitely take the advice form the crew here, as they have been to many firsthand.

I am in the same boat, cept I am staying by myself in Tokyo for a few days, so, finding a compromise between budget and cleanliness is important, and single rooms look to be only just a bit cheaper than double rooms.

Good luck, and if you visit ueno, visit the Yamashiroya toy store!

• 2 months later...

ok i have a similar question except i am running extremely low on time.

we need some accom at short notice for 8 nights, 4 people from 25/12

anyone know any cheap places good for short notice? hostels, ryokan, hotels ANYTHING around central tokyo but not restricted to...we are desparate.

I've done Ryokan & Hostel TOUKAISOU Asakusa a few times and have liked it. Choices between private rooms or hostel/dorm style. Not in central Tokyo but it's on the Ginza line (if memory serves). Cheap and chill. Just search for Asakusa Toukaisou and you should find their website.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: indiego
Citadines Shinjuku.. relatively new.. affordable.. decent location.. BIGGER ROOMS.. and it's not expensive..

I will give it a try next month at will let y'all know.

Rate is 13,000/room, about the same as a double in Astil.

Have to add, when I walked around the Astil in Ueno I saw lots of small hotels. Some you can even book by the hour if you are just a little bit tired.
  • SnowJapan Admin

Just to add to this thread - later today we will be adding to SnowJapan, for the first time, a few hotels that are in Tokyo. I will update this again when they are online.

Quote:
Some you can even book by the hour if you are just a little bit tired.

not to drag this into the gutter but I think the hourly rate isn't so much for if you're tired! smile
good thread. I'm in the Market for a room in Tokyo, for sleeping that is smile
Originally Posted By: timcraig
Quote:
Some you can even book by the hour if you are just a little bit tired.

not to drag this into the gutter but I think the hourly rate isn't so much for if you're tired! smile
good thread. I'm in the Market for a room in Tokyo, for sleeping that is smile

when are you there and how much are you looking to spend?