Up until about five years ago I never had a problem with pollen allergy here in Japan. Now, every year starting around mid February I get hit really bad with it. Usual trips to the Dr. only seem to temorarily relieve the symptoms; sneezing and eyes itch like crazy. I've heard that some people get an injection early on and it alleviates the problems associated with pollen. Has anyone on this site that suffers from the dreaded kafunshou had the shot? Is there a clinic in Tokyo/Yokohama that you recommend? I hear this year will be 3x worse than normal, so I'm hoping to take care of it soon. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

i havent had it but my colleague does (i think every 3 years) and she reccomends it all the time.

last year the doc tested me and diagnosed 3 things i am allergic to and to what degree, and he also showed that i wasnt allergic to about 7 other things. in my case i am allergic to house dust and a type of grass weed that grows near rice fields, so i am pretty much screwed outside of winter. the test was really cheap and took about 5 days for the results to come in.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
i havent had it but my colleague does (i think every 3 years) and she reccomends it all the time.

last year the doc tested me and diagnosed 3 things i am allergic to and to what degree, and he also showed that i wasnt allergic to about 7 other things. in my case i am allergic to house dust and a type of grass weed that grows near rice fields, so i am pretty much screwed outside of winter. the test was really cheap and took about 5 days for the results to come in.

The test is something I need to have done for sure. Thanks for the input. From what I gather the main problem here in Japan is cedar pollen(sugi). The reason for this has to do with the ridiculous reforestation that dates back to post WWII.
Originally Posted By: rach
Quote:
I hear this year will be 3x worse than normal

They know that already? Not good to hear.

I either heard it on the news or read it somewhere recently.
If I'm correct, the prediction is based on the summer weather pattern of last year. Suffering through this every year for 6-8 weeks is a bummer. Thus, I hope to take a different approach this year and get the test done as Bobby mentioned, as well as look into getting the shot.