OMG, I just checked the weather forecast for Shiga Kogen, where we'll be arriving on Sunday and it is predicted to drop to -29C on Monday. In anyone's language, that is cold! My question is, how safe is it to go skiing in those temps (with -35 wind chill), and will the lifts even be open?

Cheers - Snowy

If you looked at the 6 day forecast on SJG then I suspect that there is a software bug somewhere. The last day on a couple of the forecasts I have looked yesterday and today look v. low and are significantly different from the Japan Meterological Office forecasts.

Maybe a mod could look into it

Hugh

Hardest thing to keep warm is toes. Anyway, wear an extra thick layer of wool and suck it up. You're probably more likely to get hypothermia when it's plus 4 and raining.

Stop reading here.

What's with quoting the wind chill all the time? I hate how they do that. It just distorts the facts. The wind is always changing and it's not like there's ever NO wind anyway, and the effect of the wind depends on what you're wearing on your outer layer. Tell me the temperature, and then tell me if it's windy and I'll make up my own mind. Anyway, Japan's not cold. I doubt it's gonna be -29 at Shiga during the daytime so don't worry about it. Just bring and extra layer of wool and losen your boots on the chairlift to keep the b lood flowing.

• SnowJapan Admin
Originally Posted By: telehugh
If you looked at the 6 day forecast on SJG then I suspect that there is a software bug somewhere. The last day on a couple of the forecasts I have looked yesterday and today look v. low and are significantly different from the Japan Meterological Office forecasts.

Maybe a mod could look into it.

We do not have direct control over the data that is displayed and there does not seem to be any programming 'bug' there.

I don't know all the ins and outs of this, but personally I would say just use that information to give you a general idea that it is going to be extremely cold.
And if you 'hate it' then just ignore it.

friend

The forecast came from Snow-forecast.com. This morning it had a min of -29 and a max of -25 for Monday. However, I just checked the site again and it is now saying -15 to -19 with -25 wind chill, so maybe there was a typo error in the original report. Still bloody cold!!

- Snowy

Even then, when you are snowboarding/skiing, its not that bad. One of the days we were in Furano last year was -27 with wind chill, but we didn't feel it.

I would recommend a face warmer though, as they do wonders for keeping the wind out of your ears and keeping your lips warm.

Go buy some heat packs and put a few in your boots in between the socks and the boots - work for about 6 hours and will keep your feet warm.

Now hands are more difficulty. Make sure your gloves are waterproof/resistant, and if necessary wear two layers, but make sure inner is waterproof.

SJ mods ... yesterday the 6 day forecast for Myoko and Shiga had exceptionally cold temps forecasted 6 days out yesterday - but 5 day forecasts looked sane. From memory Akakura was forecasted at minus 23degC plus x windchill on Sunday - which I doubt.

If another odd one comes up I'll PM - the forecasts are great - thanks.

IMVHO minus 10 - 15 is cold but workable. More than than is not great skiing weather. Worked in minus 40 - not pleasant and requires lots of layers and down jackets.

• SnowJapan Admin

I will look into this again tomorrow just to make sure our settings etc are all ok.

I'd prefer things like this discussed off the forums though, so if you have any findings or whatever please email me with them and we can go from there.

Thanks.