Yep, I was aware of how they might do it, just interested to see if there was an insurance I hadn't looked into, or if there was a local (Japanese) insurance that was not elsewhere available.

Definitely a moot, as opposed to a silent (mute) point.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have insurance with DSV (German Ski association). My normal insurance covers incidents in Germany and this one covers worldwide for a year. Say, I am boarding in the Austrian or Italian side of Alps this covers it. I have a policy that is for snowboarding and it is a little more expensive than skiing. It also covers for stolen equipment (value reduces each year). No helmet clause.

We had some helmet discussion withing the family with out any clear conclusion. Then, last year in Hakuba, my daughter had an accident and lost her memory (luckily, came back the same night) - now it's helmet only.

Have to say now, it's way more comfortable then I thought.

I wear a helmet after being concussed once and knocked out once.

I figure it this way - if I slam my leg into a tree it will most likely heal ok, if there is permanent damage I will most likely adjust. If I slam my head into a tree the chances of damage are higher, the implications of that damage are much more severe and any permanent damage could be very hard to adjust to.

Actually I now like wearing a helmet. It helps fend off branches and the metal bits of lifts and it keeps me warm when its really cold. Not to mention the occasional stack. The only time I don't use it is when I'm hiking uphill. Then it is waaaaaaaay too hot.

Quote:
Actually I now like wearing a helmet. It helps fend off branches and the metal bits of lifts and it keeps me warm when its really cold.

Definitely.

If they come down automatically I'll use em. Otherwise don't usually worry about pulling it down. As I've never even come close to feeling like slipping off a chairlift seat, can't really see the need for the bar.

Its a real issue for kids though.

Two examples, both with my youngest.

1. We loaded onto a 4 person lift - youngest was on the far right, I was on the far left. He slipped forward a touch and his butt slid off the chair. IF the safety bar had come down quicker he would have grabbed hold of it and pulled himself back up. As it was his brother grabbed him by his trousers and hoisted him up. We are generally slow putting the bar down taking the time check we are not going to smash it down on anyone.

2. On a lift but almost at the end station - just about to come over the safety net. People in front stacked it and the lifty stopped the lift, but it stopped suddenly. Again the little ones butt slipped forward. Because he was hanging on to the bar he pushed backwards and just got a little heart starter of a shock however without a bar he would have been free falling.