Was wondering if any fellow backcountry skiiers have any advice for keeping snow buildup off the top of my skiis when breaking trail in powder. After a few hours of this it feels like I'm dragging anchors. The only advice I've gotten so far is to use car wax on the top sheet but was wondering if anyone had any other tricks.

Thanks.

I do that (car wax) on my snowboard. It works fairly well in the BC, but not on piste. Once snow melts going down then refreezes on the lift up, it forms a microscopic texture that the snow will stick to.

Wonder if silicone spray or cooking spray would work? I have known people to do t hat to keep mud buildup off of mountain bikes and motocross motorcycles. Be careful with the silicone, since it may be incompatible with certain synthetics or finishes.

what I've always wondered is that Teflon is supposedly the most "frictionless" coating known to man.....so why aren't the bottom of boards and skis drenched in the stuff? The same could then be same for the decks of said boards and skis for the BC

Any sci-otaku got a good reason?

you ever noticed your frying pan after just a coupla fry ups? The coating has more scratches than a scrat n snif tee shirt.

Teflon coating is just too easily removed. Having that on the base, would mean not having anything after a coupla runs.

If you use Zardoz Notwax - that's 100% pure teflon liquid. It soaks into your wax layer and keeps things nice and slippery.

For the top sheets you can use the same stuff and it helps keep them clear of snow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
I do that (car wax) on my snowboard. It works fairly well in the BC, but not on piste. Once snow melts going down then refreezes on the lift up, it forms a microscopic texture that the snow will stick to.

Wonder if silicone spray or cooking spray would work? I have known people to do t hat to keep mud buildup off of mountain bikes and motocross motorcycles. Be careful with the silicone, since it may be incompatible with certain synthetics or finishes.

I would definitely recommend this. I used cooking spray once in the early season when there is that mix of hot/cold in UT and it worked great. Also, haven't tried it on my bike but I guess I will have to.