Hi! I'm planning to go to the Snow Festival in Sapporo next month with my 8&10 yr old kids. This will be our first time to Hokkaido, so any info would be much appreciated:

1. Any good hotel near enough to the Festival (logistics with kids can be a challenge)?

2. Will an overnight stay be enough to see most of the kid-friendly statues?

3. Any kid-friendly ski resort near to Sapporo (no skiing, only playing in the snow)?

Thanks.

you may want to check this out.

downtownmap-e.gif

It's very easy to navigate and hotels are everywhere.

My fav is the Nikko, but there are all tastes within a short walk of the festival sites. I'd def spend more than 1 night.

Hi 2angels. I hate to put a dampener on things but you might find that there are no available hotel rooms left in Sapporo for the Snow Festival. I've heard that you need to get in pretty early. So maybe just ring a few from Thursday's map to see if there's any chance.

There are other members here who have lived here much longer than me and will have a clearer idea. I might be wrong.

The answers to 2 and 3 are yes (apparently) and yes (most local parks have a sledding hill and snowman materials)

Good luck

2Angles I normally stay at Sunroute New Sopporo and I do believe they have some vacancies left and it is about 5 blocks from the festival, however I wouldn't leave it much longer b4 booking

Hi 2angels wave We booked way back in May and our travel agent had trouble getting us accomodation back then. We are staying at the Century Royal.

Don't mind what it is like as long as there is a bed. We are there for 3 days and will be up at the crack of dawn and planning not to get back to the motel until midnight each day.

An option to staying in Sapporo, which will be pretty booked out, is to stay a couple of train stops away at Otaru. It's an easy 20min subway trip into Sapporo. Right above the station is the Otaru Hilton Hotel. We found it to be great value.

Otaru also has its own snow festival or Snow Gleaming - mostly at night, so that should be something close to base for the kids as well.

Good luck

Originally Posted By: snowhunter
We are staying at the Century Royal.

Geez, I hate to be the bearer of bad news Snowhunter but I watched in horror today as the Century Royal burnt to the ground!

rollabout Just kidding!

However I did spend half an hour today marveling at what a swell time the military boys were having playing tractors in Odori Park with endless truckloads of snow. It was textbook sandpit action, but on a massive scale.

If you are ever mad enough to join an army, make it the Hokkaido Yuki Matsuri Corps.
Originally Posted By: 2angels
3. Any kid-friendly ski resort near to Sapporo (no skiing, only playing in the snow)?

Check out Takino Suzuran Hillside park to the South near Makomanai. There is a one-lift beginners hill, free snowshoe rentals, and a tube park (not sure the price). There's an English webpage, but the information there is limited - use it for access information.