Hokkaido Itinerary???? - I like it steep, deep and cheap!

I am looking for some local biases... My partner and I are escaping Hiroshima-ken for 9 days at the end of January and heading for the great white north of Hokkaido. We tend to favour the less over the top, over developed, over groomed type resorts. Any suggestions of where to look at for steep, deep and cheap? Ideally we would like to check out 2 places that are relatively close together. Apres is not a concern assuming the terrain is good enough to wear us out.

I would suggest Asahi-dake. The terrain is amazing, the accommodation cheap and bugger all night life! Then maybe head over to Kamui for somewhere fairly close by that by all accounts has some good off-piste (haven't skied there yet myself).

Having a car I've never really looked at other alternatives of getting there. Do some searches and I'm sure you'll work out how to do it. It's not too far from Asahikawa and there is daily bus services from what I understand. Try the Youtei Hostel there for info.

Just an observation, but the terms "steep" and "cheap" don't really apply to most of the Hokkaido resorts, or the skiing experience as a whole (unless by steep you mean expensive...)

Deep is why we go.

Enjoy

SdS

Originally Posted By: hipsterandjane
how is the access to asahidake - will it be an issue getting there if we dont have a car??

Buses run daily out of Asahikawa, from the JR ekimae bus terminal.

Shiribetsu near Rusutsu looks sick, F'ing sick, but terrain trap for most of the mountain, and Ive heard it slides lots. Yotei is good for skinning.

As others have said, Tokaichi, Kurodake, Asahidake seem to have the steepest terrain round Hokkers. As for resorts, supposedly Kiroro has steeper stuff than both Rusutsu/Niseko according to Tsonda's scouting report.

I personally fell in love with Rusutsu over the break, def steeper than Hirafu and has much better tree runs which are longer! But, no peak to ski off of...nor back bowls, though I heard that off the back side down to the farms is a decent run but conditions werent good for us.

Originally Posted By: skidaisuki
Just an observation, but the terms "steep" and "cheap" don't really apply to most of the Hokkaido resorts, or the skiing experience as a whole (unless by steep you mean expensive...)

Deep is why we go.

Deep is the priority of the eeps.