Root Canal or Tooth Extraction?

from Mantaspedia

Root canal treatment is need when a tooth is badly decayed and nerves are exposed. The guts of the tooth are drilled out leaving only the outer case. The guts are then filled with some stuff and a filling seals the deal.

The tooth is essentially dead and could crack at any time. It will darken in colour as well.

Oh.. It costs a bomb as well (the main reason people have them pulled instead)

Originally Posted By: kawanokanako
I have an appointment next week for a root canal but I've been hearing that it's smarter to just get it removed because it will end up being infected anyway.. I don't know which to believe

my friend is a dental surgeon specializing in titanium inserts, he would recommend extraction followed by inserts if you talked to him. smile.gif

Titanium is the way forward, pricey but permanent.

img-dental-implant-02.jpg

img-dental-implant-01.jpg

real tooth removed, hole drilled, titanium screws implanted and then left for a month or so to set and allow the bone to grow around it, then fake teeth are attached to the screw.

They are extremely strong, if the fake tooth breaks you just get a new one and screw it on the implant.

He has had some patients who had all their teeth - the whole shebang done.

Sheeez, that's impressive, and no doubt expensive.

The kid next door got his knocked out with a cricket bat, aged 10. now he is 18 and his jaw has stopped growing, I think they may do someyhing like that.