Hi guys am going to break up my trip by having a short trip to Kyoto, to rest what will be my weary body but also to have a look at the city, particularly the art. What would be a good way to learn about the art scene there and what to go see? Also a couple of hotel recomendations would be well appreciated. Thanks.

I can't advise on the art scene, but can recommend a really good hotel in Kyoto. In past trips there we have gone for the traditional ryokan, which is a good experience and can be expensive. On our last trip we opted for a western hotel and found the APA Hotel Gion. The hotel standard was very good and the price was reasonable. The best thing about it was the location. A fantastic point from which to walk to major shrines around the Higashiyama disctrict, through to the famous Kiyomizudera. I never tire of exploring that area. If you are into Giesha spotting, Gion corner is the place.

Also close to subway & major shopping / restaurant area.

This link takes you to Kyoto walks. http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-503.pdf

Gion Corner is marked. The Hotel is in Shijo St, near the corner to Higashioji St.

The map also shows art & craft places around Kyoto.

We'd love to see Kyoto in the warmer months, but that will have to wait until the knees completely pack in & I can ski no more.

Still, it's a great place in winter & probably far less crowded.

Good luck

PS we found the APA Hotel in Asia Rooms. We are heading to Nozawa Onsen this time (in 2 weeks) - not stopping in Kyoto - but heading north to Takayama for our pre-ski cultural experience.

Don't skip Osaka, if that's your port of entry. It's all about shopping, eating &, if you time it right, the Sumo!