Sorry to make my second post in this forum a bit of a rant but what's up with Japanese kids and middle aged skiers in 80s clobber these days? I was at Fujimi Panorama on Monday just for a quick warm-up to the season. Every time I was in the lift line some kid would start either kicking my board with his shitty rental skis (top sheet is now scratched to you know what) or a bunch of them were trying to cut in line? I got so frustrated that I started looking for a father to punch on the nose! It was kind of crowded and only the family/beginner slope was open so I just cruised down the hill a few times being careful not to kill any of the little darlings but then this wanker in a pink and purple 80s style ski suit almost killed me doing a gazillion miles an hour passing me on my heal side with about two inches clearance. Saw him do it to some other poor suckers while I was on the lift. A crowded day on a small hill full of kids and beginners is not the place to set downhill speed records no matter how good you are and he was a fairly decent skier so he should know better. Finally caught up to the prick at the bottom a few runs later and was about to stuff his little kuma chan backpack up his nose when the missus appealed to my better nature by threatening to burst into tears. (He's lucky it was me and not her that he almost skittled or there would have been blood on the snow for sure) First time in 6 years of snowsports in Japan that I've ever felt anger or frustration to that degree I've always in the past found Japanese people to be courteous and pretty easy going as a rule. While I'm on a rant what's up with letting singles go up on a double chair by themselves on a crowded day? At one stage I counted 6 half full chairs in a row!

Sorry but I feel better now.

I'd claim a one piece as reasonable provocation. And while we are on the subject of bizarre ski wear, what's with this season's look for male boarders in tight-fitting white, floral print one-pieces - I kid not there were at least two of them out this weekend

Quote:
While I'm on a rant what's up with letting singles go up on a double chair by themselves on a crowded day?

There's only so much pushing and shouting a liftie can do with the lifts moving and people reluctant. They probably just give up after a while..

my last 2 trips to Thredbo, sometimes i'd have to queue for 10 minutes, but always found the lifties to be friendly and high in spirits, also found that nobody in the queues pushed or were rude, so apart from the time wasted, queuing was not a bad issue

One of my customers kindly bought me in some of her ski gear to borrow for my upcoming trip.

A one piece FLUORO PINK with LIME & Purple Stripes Suit BUT WAIT THERES MORE it had matching Hot Pink Fluffy Ear Muffs and Hot Pink/Purple Gloves and Neck Warmer.

God I would have looked like the president of the Wham Fan Club. rollabout

I kindly let her know I had my own. If there is anyone out there who would like to borrow it she has left it with me just incase I change my mind and want to use it.

Originally Posted By: snowhunter
One of my customers kindly bought me in some of her ski gear to borrow for my upcoming trip.

A one piece FLUORO PINK with LIME & Purple Stripes Suit BUT WAIT THERES MORE it had matching Hot Pink Fluffy Ear Muffs and Hot Pink/Purple Gloves and Neck Warmer.

God I would have looked like the president of the Wham Fan Club. rollabout

I kindly let her know I had my own. If there is anyone out there who would like to borrow it she has left it with me just incase I change my mind and want to use it.

umm snowhunter, i'm really hoping that you aren't male rollabout

Outrageous colours I can handle - even kinda cool in a smiley sort of way.

But out of control kids just pee me off. And their parents even more.

A few "friendly" terse words in the said kids directions never goes astray.

Ski safe, be happy!

The 80^s ski gear is just great for a laugh. We quite enjoy seeing a big wham flash whizz by.

short changing the lift loading in peak periods is something that befuddles Aussies, but we are used to being crammed like sardines into lifts. I loved the fact that Niseko was quiet and we were able to load light on lifts with a vacant lift behind when we were learning, can never imagine that happening in Aus, but it was awesome at the time.

Sounds like you had a bad day, but even a bad day on the snow is better than a good day at work isnt it?

My boys had crowded conditions coming off the Sunnega Paradise area in Zermatt on monday, was freakishly busy for no real reason and they were flanked and surrounded by skiers on a very very narrow intermediate cat track back to the village. It is a long long cat track with loads of twists and turns and just that bit too much incline - very hard to take speed off when you cant move left or right. They were frustrated and ate snow a few times, but they got over it .... all in a days snow sports. I was impressed because they rode it all the way in an^d there were plenty of boarders walking the track in frustration.

Hey TB,

Well it hasnt snowed since we have been here even though the place is white from top to bottom so the POW is not here, at least not right now. And there is WAY more vertical than we encountered in Niseko but we are in the Alps, so perhaps the comparisons should be made to Hakuba. And having said that I am very keen to get to Haks after this trip!

The infrastructure, lifts systems and village atmosphere/services/dining etc .... access via train... now that is the best I have found anywhere in the world. It is simply divine!

After being warned about long traverses that do not suit snowboarders I have come across a few. Papa and the older boys have not realy had any problems with them, but the littlest bear cub has not had the weight to keep his speed and momentum going so there have been some hissy fits and ranting about mountains supposed to be going DOWNhill not UPhill. But he has that problem at other places, and I remember him getting stuck in Niseko too. I have been stuck with him often because as his Mummy I tend not to whizz past and leave him stranded! LOL But on the whole, even though the mix is more 90%skiers to boarders, it is a fun place to explore.

Weather is a changable thing.....but so far we have been dining on mountain outside in the sunshine and stripping off the ski jackets on occassion. It is about -8 but no wind and plenty sun makes for very civilized conditions. To get the POW you dont often get the sun as well...so there is another difference in my experiences of both places.