Not putting Myoko down, I like it very much, but it's inclusion in this yet another apparently created at random and/or defined by advertising income list is a little puzzling.

1. Tignes, France

The longest season in Europe, the closest slopes to the sun, some of the best powder and, as part of the Espace Killy, 180 miles of pistes: Tignes is the premier snowboarding resort. You will find more boarders here than anywhere else; the big motorway blue runs are perfect for beginners, while the vast off-piste plays host to the Freeride World Tour every year. The snow park at nearby Val d'Isère has great progression on the jumps, and there's even a lost valley of tunnels and little jumps (great for children) down near the resort. There is also good summer boarding at the Grande Motte, and a summer fun park. The après-ski is preferable to that of Val d'Isère: it's very relaxed and you can wear your snowboard gear in most of the bars at the bottom of the lifts. There's no better functioning resort for snowboarding in the world.

2. Mayrhofen, Austria

In the heart of the Austrian Alps in the Zillertal valley, Mayrhofen has become the home of Austrian snowboarding. A superb mixture of high-quality freeride terrain, a welcoming and laid-back Tyrolean atmosphere and one of the leading terrain parks in Europe (Vans Penken Park) make Mayrhofen a necessity for any avid snowboarder. The resort also stages some

world-class events: the Aesthetiker Jam is a five-star event, and the Snowbombing weekend every year is a great party. Nearby Kaltenbach is great for untracked powder; and the resort's proximity to the Hintertux Glacier allows for year-round riding.

3. Whistler, Canada

Home to more pro snowboarders than anywhere else on the planet. Whistler and Blackcomb mountains are a boarder's dream: trees, chutes, bowls, parks and perfect pistes. The town itself feels slightly artificial and twee but it is on the mountain that Whistler distinguishes itself from its competitors. Backcountry riding – accessed by snowmobile – has become very popular.

4. Verbier, Switzerland

Verbier has some of the best freeride and backcountry terrain in the world. The finals of the Freeride World Tour take place annually on the Bec des Rosses, which is one large and dangerous no-fall zone. Mont Gelé is a unique mountain experience in that a single cable-car takes you to more than 11,000ft and to a choice of descents down an unpisted mountain. Freestylers have the use of the 1936 Neipark, which has a good mixture of kickers, boxes and rails. Verbier is also a great place for British snowboard schools.

5. Snowpark, New Zealand

Located between Queenstown and Wanaka in South Island and built as a specific terrain park three years ago, Snowpark features more than 40 kickers, rails, boxes and a world-class superpipe, and has become a must-visit venue for snowboard freestylers. The resort has a selection of pimped condos on the piste with hot tubs and all mod cons. There is night riding on Tuesday and Friday, but the resort has no board hire – so you have to bring your own stuff.

6. Myoko, Japan

The Japanese have embraced snowboarding culture, leading the way with the sport's innovations. This hidden gem, just two hours from Tokyo on the bullet train, receives 40ft of snow each winter. It offers floodlit terrain parks as well as the unique experience of riding through birch trees. The atmosphere is unmistakably Japanese: most households have mini JCB diggers to clear snow rather than shovels, while a dip in the local hot springs is the perfect way to unwind.

7. Hemsedal, Norway

Hemsedal is a picture-book snowboarding resort just over two hours' drive from Oslo. It has 25 miles of runs and terrain to appeal to all standards, as well as accessible backcountry, a faultless snow park and even floodlit night riding until 9pm for most of the season. It differs from many other resorts in Norway in that beginners are not forced to use dreaded drag lifts everywhere: the lift system here is quite varied. Hemsedal has been attracting top freestyle riders for years and staged the Arctic Challenge in 2001. Sophisticated but quite expensive après-ski.

8. Avoriaz, France

Designed in the Sixties to blend in with the surrounding rock formations, Avoriaz is one of the first resorts to have a snowboarder-only section, including a pipe, park-and-ride area and its own lift; you can also get a snowboarders' passport covering all aspects of the resort. Avoriaz is part of Les Portes du Soleil: one of the largest linked areas in the world, including Les Croisets and Morzine, which are top boarding locations in their own right. It is also home to a great array of terrain parks while Burton, the snowboard manufacturer, has created one of its five "The Stash" parks here. Also on offer are quad-biking, snowmobiling and climbing.

9. Revelstoke, Canada

Revelstoke Mountain Resort, located in British Columbia in the Selkirk Mountains, has opened for its second season and is still a work in progress – but might be worth a visit before the crowds get there. It gets on average 40-60ft of snow and offers North America's greatest continuous vertical drop. Although it is very much a fledgling resort in terms of snow-park development, it offers extensive cat-boarding – riding caterpillar-tracked snowcats to access miles of untracked powder.

10. Livigno, Italy

Not many people think of going to Italy to board, but this is one of the best-kept secrets around. Situated in the northern Italian Alps, Livigno is a duty-free zone and remarkably inexpensive. The town is basically a long road along which free buses run, with wide pistes on either side that are great for beginners. Freeriders can access some of the most beautiful powder fields half an hour's hike away. The one hitch is the long transfer – more than three hours from Milan – but unlike in duty-free Andorra, you can enjoy fine Italian cuisine.

Daily Telegraph

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
Myoko is a great place. But top 10 in the world?

I agree. I wouldnt call it world class because:
- Its hard to access beginners runs. Some of them you have to up the gondola then traverse/ride some steeper terrain to get to.
- The place is in decline. Its a bit like Madarao, its heyday is in the past.
- The Myoko resorts arn't well linked with shuttles.
- The season is short. Lifts only go half way up the mountain.
- Gets noticably less snow than Nozawa, Shiga, Arai. (Don't know why, i've looked at maps to try figure it out.)
- There is really only one part of the mountain that interests me, the stuff accessable off speedlift 3. Whereas other mountains have multiple areas that are good.

However, I rate it highly because:
- There is some pretty good runs if you want to hike 1 hour.
- Theres some good lift accessable out of bounds stuff.
- Cheap lift passes. season pass was 35,000 (suginohara only) when i was there.
- park guys do well with limited budget. The boarder cross was always fun.
- Its easy to get to by car from Nagano, much closer than Hakuba, Nozawa.

Myoko is worth a visit, I just wouldn't say its world class. Lake Nojiri, which is closeby is a pretty cool in summer if you like watersports or cross country MTB.
Quote:
Gets noticably less snow than Nozawa, Shiga, Arai. (Don't know why, i've looked at maps to try figure it out.)

Hmmm. not sure about that one. Myoko last season got TONS of snow.

Interesting that Myoko got on that list. I wonder who got that done? wink Perhaps a friend of the person writing it.

Disclaimer: I really like Myoko too.

It is from the Telegraph!!

Fairly biased towards Euro resorts although they are pretty amazing in terms of facilities, infrastructure, terrain, size etc surely one US resort could have made it.

Snowpark is hardly a resort, more a huge park without the other facilities of some huge US and Euro resorts.

Haven't been to Myoko so can't comment but from those above, it does seem strange to be at 6 when you read his criteria for the top 3.

..and Hemsedal... rollabout

Myoko was drowned in snow last year, Seki Onsen, while not high, seems to be in the sweet spot for falling snow, the amount up there last year defied belief!

Looking at hitting Myoko next weekend, gonna get out for 1st day of the season on Monday up at Kagura

Just in case anyone’s interested, Snowbombing in Mayrhofen is actually a week long music/boarding festival and it’s an absolute blast. First time I went it was glorious sunshine, some blokes were riding topless in shorts and the lasses were in bikini tops!!! Last year the weather wasn’t so great, visibility was poor at time, but man was the snow good, brilliant considering it was the first week in April actually.