Quote:
Sorry, but in business, word of mouth is very important. There's no obligation whatsoever to confront anybody about bad service or whatever. The attitude that you display there doesn't do any credit to anybody either.

What is your interest in this anyway? Why should anybody discuss this with you? Who are you?
Right on, Ocean!

I know nothing about Snowbeds, but posts like Paizuri's don't seem to help them much.
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you for mentioning what you did pizuri. . . it seems a shame that several people have spoken out of turn-- please dont slander a man and a place you dont actually know.

what is true about snowbeds is it is the one of the best places in Hakuba to stay, relax and meet some great people of all different backgrouds while enjoying a relaxed atmosphere. mitch and yoshie are helpful and accomodating almost to a fault.

if you are new to japan or hakuba i would recommend snowbeds because-- you will meet people from everywhere-- it feels like a hostel and save a few most everyone i have ever met is relaxed and having fun. -- mitch and yoshie give great information-- so save money and time.

the attitude is relaxed. you can find people to ride with of all ability levels-- be it mellow on piste riding or steep trees with cliffs. having spent the last two seasons there i owe many dear friendships and countless days of bliss to the atmosphere that the people of snowbeds make possible.

snowbeds is almost always booked in advance with return customers-- to those of you who make wild personal claims about mitch-- shame on you for your slander, at least sign your name!

erik strommen

eriku70@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally posted by gamungeru:
thank you for mentioning what you did pizuri. . . it seems a shame that several people have spoken out of turn-- please dont slander a man and a place you dont actually know.

what is true about snowbeds is it is the one of the best places in Hakuba to stay, relax and meet some great people of all different backgrouds while enjoying a relaxed atmosphere.

erik strommen
eriku70@hotmail.com
What is true, are all of the above. Everyone has reported regarding their own experience, standards, expectations. Spoken out of turn? that would be you suggesting that the experiences of others are invalid vis-a-vis your appraisal.

Snowbeds, and the snowbed lifestyle is not for everyone (a log cabin with a roaring log fire is THE BEST place to stay in Hakuba, by the way...) and potential customers have a right to know what they might/might not expect from a place.

what is true about snowbeds is it is the one of the best places in Hakuba to stay, relax and meet some great people of all different backgrouds while enjoying a relaxed atmosphere. mitch and yoshie are helpful and accomodating almost to a fault.

if you are new to japan or hakuba i would recommend snowbeds because-- you will meet people from everywhere-- it feels like a hostel and save a few most everyone i have ever met is relaxed and having fun. -- mitch and yoshie give great information-- so save money and time.

the attitude is relaxed. you can find people to ride with of all ability levels-- be it mellow on piste riding or steep trees with cliffs. having spent the last two seasons there i owe many dear friendships and countless days of bliss to the atmosphere that the people of snowbeds make possible.

snowbeds is almost always booked in advance with return customers-- to those of you who make wild personal claims about mitch-- shame on you for your slander, at least sign your name!

erik strommen

eriku70@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally posted by gamungeru:
at least sign your name!
i think u'll find, to most round here, a handle is as good as a name.

i certainly haven't given your post any overly weighty consideration, erik, just because u have named yourself.

Fair enough. Sharing experiences is an appropriate use of any forum. I just feel that being so specific and personal is not constructive.

Snowbeds is a 'backpackers'. This should tell anyone who is going to stay there what to expect. Personally, I think it is a good value and a general asset to the Hakuba experience. If you don't agree...stay elsewhere. But try to be more considerate when airing your gripes on the internet. That's all I'm saying.

For the person who got the cold shoulder...maybe you just got a bad day? Or maybe you talked to the wrong person/people.

As for talking smack...well...that is subjective. Sarcasm by some is lost on many (especially Americans).

Thankfully, there are many choices for accomodation in Hakuba. If one is not your scene..keep trying.

I'll agree that many people are not quick to share info on their favorite off-piste runs. This is a function of the paranoia created by the Patrol, and not meant as some "local" attitude. For those of us who have temporarily (or permanently) lost our expensive season's passes...we aren't really trying to have a traffic jam in the trees. It's not personal, just practical.

paizuri, permit me to make some constructive comments.

It's been quite amazing watching you dig yourself and Snowbeds a big hole over just 2 posts. You've called some long-standing members of this forum 'pussy', you've dumped on JETs who are no doubt a significant customer segment, and you've suggested that Americans, another segement, are too stupid to understand sarcasm. Nice going.

You've also admitted that Snowbeds is a place where you can expect to get a cold shoulder when the management are having a bad day, and where you have to have a full appreciation of sarcasm to enjoy your stay.

Do you work there? Is that the story? Because if you do, I wouldn't want to go there if you paid me.

I started off with an open mind, having heard good and bad about the place. But the 'friends of Snowbeds' have done more to convince me that they're a bunch of nasty brats that anything the disgruntled ex-customers have said.

I hope that was constructive enough for you.

I thought the topic was Snowbeds...sure it's not generally nice to trash a person on a public thread, but when the person is in business, puts his name on his place's Japanese and English website, advertises to the whole world on the Net with links on this site, and holds himself out to the public as the guy running the place, well, word-of-mouth seems fair game.

How else could people with personal experience of Snowbeds present their complaints about a person who significantly affected their experience there, for better or worse? "There is a person at Snowbeds who shall remain unnamed [at least for negative comments] but s/he is the owner and here's what I thought about it..." Oh please.

Just stick to the topic. I don't know anything about the place except what I've seen on the Snowbeds site and what I've read here.

Though you may be angry at some posters here or strongly disagree with them, attacking them here won't help them or Snowbeds. You're probably better better to just post your own experience of the place.

If you'd rather discuss message board etiquette, more power to you...why not start a different thread and make it somehow more interesting than this one is becoming.

Dear Ocean 11:

You have taken some liberties with what I did and didn't say.

First of all I picked on the JET community because that has been MY experience with more than a select few of them.

Second, I merely stated that; If you walk in with attitude, you will be met with attitude.

Third, I offered some possible explanations for the negative experiences a few have had.

Had I just given some holier than thou diatribe on the unwaivering merits of the place, I think my observations would be both incomplete and seem insincere.

Frankly, I won't stay at another pension in Hakuba. And I would advise anyone to do the same.

Please don't take my reference to the JET population so harshly. But they do represent a certain demographic that is higher maintenance at times than others might be. Ask your local CIR, they will tell the same story..IN SPADES!!

PS. No, I don't work there, and haven't. I just like the place and feel for the people who run it. It's unfortunate that you choose to twist my words to fit your silly agenda.

I have been reluctent to join this thread and basically you can see my opinions at the end of the Off Season: Aust/NZ thread. Sorry I'm a bit of a "tech tard" so I can't post a link. Perhaps one of the kind "tech enabled" members can help me out. Anyway on that thread I felt that criticism had lowered itself to the level of personal attack-albeit gutlessly ( good kiwi expression is gutless) through the wonders of cyberspace.

I totally agree that word of mouth should be shared freely-indeed word of mouth is probably the best form of advertising in customer related businesses. Another thing-generalisations don't really help even if they are true.

All good or all bad? Usually the truth falls somewhere in between, although debates tend to become polarised. I would say Snowbeds falls somewhere around the good side of the line. I say this from a generalised "for everyone" point of view. I base it on how I have seen others treated there in the past and the comments of people I have talked to while staying there.

For me personally the experience has been pretty much all good-although sometimes just too busy for an ageing codger like myself, during the weekends. Perhaps on this count Snowbeds is a victim of it's own success. Maybe this suggests they're doing something right-or maybe all the people who have gone there and enjoyed themselves, gotten along fine with the management and even returned time and time again are stupid morons. OK so I'm a stupid moron then-however I'm not stupid enough to not realize when criticism ends and gutless personal attacks start.

I haven't stayed at Snowbeds for a while as I have had other options but I'd certainly stay there again. I think Mitch and Yoshie have done a lot to allow people to experience Hakuba. I'm with you on the log cabin Miteyak but not everyone has the coin for that or the ability to organise it. By the way I have met quite a few people staying there who had been kindly hooked up with alternative accomodations when it was too full. They were there enjoying the atmos that was lacking at said alternative accomodations.

If you don't get on with everyone you meet in such an establishment that's a shame but it hardly reflects upon the place. Human interactions are not always convivial in a crowded hostel situation. I pretty much got on with everyone I met there, but that's what I try to do. Anyway I'll stop ranting-just wanted to add a little bit of balance and positive word of mouth. They may not have everything right all of the time at Snowbeds but in my opinion they rate pretty highly overall. I'm sure some other former guests would have a similar opinion.

This whole thread started with the words "If you're going to do a demolition job, might as well do it properly." This was probably intended as a "joke", but my personal impression was of an invitation to have a free go at an actual person (obviously not a regular poster) and an actual business for the general "entertainment".

I write the HakubaNow snow reports that were described on this forum last season as worthless and inaccurate. Take it from me, when they are about you, unsubstantiated personal attacks on this forum are very upsetting. mad.gif mad.gif

I'm bound to be accused of bias, so all I will say is that a number of the messages in support of Snowbeds are coming from people I know to be long-term regular visitors to Hakuba. Several times a season for several seasons type people.

Well, this thread has taken on a dimension that I didn't intend to start with my "joke" at the beginning. I tried to make it clear that accusing somebody or some establishment of 'attitude' is not good enough, that something more specific is required to make an educated judgement. As I said, I've also heard good things about Snowbeds, and as I had heard only vague things about why it might not be good, I invited comments specifically about that. Far from being for general entertainment, I wanted to know if it's the kind of place I want to stay, and I wouldn't want to stay away just on a baseless rumour of 'attitude'.

I can't help noticing the usual hypocrisy from people whining about manners on the forum though. We have Davo bravely calling unnamed people "gutless", and no doubt expecting not to get called for that. While you all speak up for Snowbeds, which is surely the right thing to do if you like the place, you also lightly insult other people right and left. And NoFakie, I don't need to take it from anybody about unsubstantiated attacks not being nice. You only have to express a slightly unpopular opinion here and you get several days' worth of it. Big deal.

I might still go to Snowbeds after all. If they'll let me in, that is. \:D

Well just for the record then Ocean and to save you trawling through the thread I mentioned but am too dumb to know how to post-Barok you are the one I think is gutless in your over the top personal attacks. Would you feel justified and/or confident enough to say some of the slanderous things you said about Mitch to his face? I doubt it and the fact is you didn't did you? That is what I define as gutless. Aside from that your observations and criticisms are simply not true from my own experiences.

What say you sir? I mean for starters laying into him for causing trouble with the 47 patrol seems a little bit of the old pot calling the kettle black is it not?

Basically your personal dislike of Mitch has fark all to do with me but good old Ocean has forced me to spell things out clearly. I think perhaps Ocean you would agree with me that if you have a problem with someone you should get to the heart of the matter and tell them to their face. It seems to me that slagging people off from the Internet is not the way to go about resolving issues.

Anyway Barok like I said it has really nothing to do with me-I don't have any issues with anyone. Perhaps you should address your comments to Mitch personally-his number is somewhere on the site. Ocean I'm sure you'd be welcome at Snowbeds just as much as anyone else-don't believe the negative hype. Like I said in my earlier post I'd evaluate it as a pretty good place to stay based on the experiences of others, not just my own.

Well, just to add my experiences...... I had a blast when I was there too. Nothing at all to complain about. I knew basically what to expect, Mitch and others there were very hospitable and we had a great time.