The other day when I went to Maiko I stuck my new little vid cam thingy onto my helmet and had a go at taking some video that way.

I kept to the courses (for the video bits anyway - anything that involved a bit more effort and fun wink I took the camera off, didn't want to squash it).

This is my first attempt, so don't laugh at a guy for trying new things.

Will get used to it and hopefully take some better stuff soon.

Anyway, if you want to see the incredible high-on-thrills footage I took, here it is.

(You'll need to be registered & logged in to snowjapan.tv to view more than one of them, but it's really simple and quick)

http://www.snowjapan.tv/view_video.php?viewkey=2ad1094d42f4ef36764f

http://www.snowjapan.tv/view_video.php?viewkey=40289d0a29417bcb63a3

http://www.snowjapan.tv/view_video.php?viewkey=49da13542e0726b7bb75

http://www.snowjapan.tv/view_video.php?viewkey=3be4f209556518c2fcb5

Exciting stuff hey. I can hardly contain myself.

lol

(PS SJ had a few problems embedding them in the thread, I have mailed you the details) friend

Hey Muika,

That's pretty good. I picked up the same camera during the summer but haven't tried it out yet. I'd be really keen to hear how you found the unit? Is it any good? How easy is it to use? How you go mounting it on your helmet? Did you have any hassles getting it aimed correctly?

Thanks Rag-Doll

To answer your questions.

It's very sturdy well-made looking thing (as you know) and really easy to use. Just press the buttom for 2 seconds and it beeps once to start and push it again with 2 beeps to stop. With ski gloves on it's a bit cumbersome at first but once you get used to where the button is it gets easier. You really need to press it hard too, though I suppose thats good as you don't want it turning on and off easily. Mounting on helmet is easy once I got it sorted the first time - instruction manual was a bit too unclear for my liking but I got there in the end. I had it on real tight to try and prevent much wobbling. The biggest thing is getting it aiming correctly. Problem is that there's no screen so basically you can't check. For this first time I just guessed and while it was ok much of the video I shot came out at an angle. So I'd say that was the biggest issue with it.

Not expensive though and good fun! I'll be clipping it on each time I go out and try to improve. Hope to see some of yours too.

friend

Thanls. Here's the blurb

"Weighing at half a pound (with batteries), this self-contained, hands-free digital video cam delivers full colour digital video in 640 x 480 VGA at 30 frames per second – even underwater. Snow, rain, or a dunk in a kayak? No worries – the ATC3K is waterproof to 10 feet! PC and MAC compatible, the ATC3K works seamlessly with most video editing software. Expandable up to 4GB with an SD card, mounts easily and all mounting hardware is included."

I was worried about mounting (that's why I took it off for more 'adventurous' pursuits) but I think it is pretty safe up there. The strap on the helmet grips onto the helmet and you have it really tight. Then the camera "clips" onto an attachment and so I reckon it would take some force to break the thing off.

Muika, noticed that you were strapped to a jet engine or was that just the microphone noise.

There's also the 5K with LCD screen, but twice the price.

ATC5K_th.jpg

The 3K looks good enough for me. Think I'll get that.

lol

I don't think those things are renowned for the sound quality. The waterproofing sacrifices it.

Good first try mate, might get one myself looks like painless fun.

Thanks for the answers Muika. I'm looking forward to giving mine a go. It will have to be an improvement on my current set up of a handicam stuffed under my goggle strap - which actually isn't too bad if you don't mind the weight and everything being on a slight angle.