Walkie Talkie / UHF Handheld communicator question...

Hey all looking to travel to Niseko / Rusutsu for a couple weeks from 2 Jan.

Snowboarding with my two brothers just thought I'd check to see if there are any rules about walkietalkie/UHF handheld communicator usage on the slopes. We are thinking it might be handy to help locate each other if we get split up.

Any advice would be much appreciated (also if you know of a good brand communicator that'd be good too)

Cheers,

Nino, had the same idea as you but this year I notice various resort's web pages have a warning that radio's from Aust, because of the frequencey that they are set to are banned. Not that i could imagine ski patrol going around checking individuals sets out to ensure that they abide by the rules. Maybe you will need to purchase a set in Japan to be on the right bandwith. Have a look at the link below

http://www.hokkaido-bt.go.jp/eng.htm

• 6 months later...

Yea, I saw posters about restrictions on models in Japan (or other countries for that matter) when in Niseko earlier this year.

Note - lookin at getting some for Australian use myself..

Seems GME + Uniden are among the main brands in Australia.

Lookin to get a set (probably a twin pack, preferrably with speaker microphones as well) for general walking as well as Alpine (snow ski resort) use.

Was initially lookin' at a 1 Watt set, for around AUD$150 - these:

pl_uh049sx2.jpg

Uniden UHO49sx-2 - 1 Watt power, each unit uses 3 x AA batteries, around AUD$150 etc., specs at: http://www.uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_uh049sx2_index.asp

But I hear 2 Watt (or even 5 Watt) units are the go, albeit more expensive.

Uniden & GME both have Twin Pack 2 Watt sets avail:

The GME 2 Watt:

TX670TP-2T.jpg

GME TX670 - 2 Watt power, each unit uses 3 x AA batteries, doe not include speaker mics, around AUD $190 etc., specs at: http://www.gme.net.au/products/radio-communications/uhf-477mhz-handhelds/TX670TP

The Uniden 2 Watt:

pl_uh065sx2.jpg

Uniden UHO65sx-2 - 2 Watt power, each unit uses 3 x AA batteries, includes speaker mics (which aren't cheap, by the looks), around AUD$240 etc., specs at: http://www.uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_uh065sx2_index.asp

Thoughts (Aussie use only)?

No brilliant comments to add to this discussion, but following intently now.

We lost a kid on the mountain for a brief time last week - he was actually safe and well munching on donuts and waiting for the bus to bring him back to the chalet, but he could have been anywhere. Lifts had closed, dark was rapidly setting in, snowing in an unforgiving fashion and he is only 9 yrs old.

He was with his 17 yr old brother, and while we assumed they were together, we couldnt find either of them. We were less concerned about Mr 17, who has his own money and brains - but a walkie talkie would have solved all our worries instantly.

If you have time it'd probably be best to buy them in Tokyo or Sapporo before getting up here. They will most likely be cheaper than what you can get them for in Aus and will comply with Japanese frequencies.

Will be arriving in Tokyo on 23rd Dec early am, and heading to Sapporo/Niseko early am on the 26th - we will be shopping for new kit anyway - so I may well also pick up some walkie talkies - very good plan GN.

Akihabara? Best place to go ya think?

• 4 months later...

MB, are you still thinking of buying a set of walkie talkies? if so I'd be keen to hear where you get them from and roughtly how much they cost. It's apity the Aust ones aren't suitable as they are so cheap here at the moment. I will have five followers this trip and it will be great to help keep the crew together.

Funny you posted this I was just thinking about that!

Yes.

I am planning on buying a dozen! veryshocked

I talked to one of the other families we are going with, and they are bypassing Tokyo - headed straight up to Niseko (23rd) - so they asked me to pick the Walkie Talkies up for them (family of 4) ... the couple we will be shopping with in Tokyo also want one each ... as do we (family of 6) .. so I will be trying to grab them on day one in Tokyo so that Kiwi and Belle can take them up on the 24th with them (we are heading up on the 26th).

Will let you know how I go.

I have a list of MUSTs...range, ease of use, clipability up high so they can be heard under helmets.. lol [i need an exploding head smiley!]

Thanks MB, WOW 12 that's impressive. Won't be any frequencies left for us guys to talk on. I would love to see the shop keepers face when you ask to buy 12, then again the look on the airport staff's faces as you go thru those X-ray machine could be interesting.

Originally Posted By: ratherb@thesnow
..then again the look on the airport staff's faces as you go thru those X-ray machine could be interesting.

Gotta be better than the time I brought back a [ahem] 'toy' as a joke gift for a girl who lived with us. There was some pre trip banter, and she had said something disgusting about what she would like me to bring back... I was a rookie traveler and had packed the 'toy' into my hand luggage. It was scanned...and removed for inspection. biggrin

I laughed ... but the security fellow nearly had a heart attack when he realized what he was holding in his hand! I was 21 at the time. lol

We have been taking walkie-talkies to Japan for years and they have proven really useful, not just on the mountain.

I was surprised when I stumbled upon this advise fron the Australian Dept of Immigration advising that "The use of UHF-CB radios ("walkie talkies") which do not meet Japanese specifications (i.e. purchased outside of Japan) is prohibited. There are heavy fines and a possible jail sentence for those in breach of this law. " http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Japan

Seems a bit harsh ! Good advice to pick up some sets in Tokyo.

Originally Posted By: deemacvee

Seems a bit harsh ! Good advice to pick up some sets in Tokyo.

Particularly in our situation.
We are likely to be coming back to Japan at least every 2nd year for a rather long time. One of the families we are buying sets for owns property in Niseko. And our oldest boys are planning on doing a season there next year...

...just makes sense.

And I don't think there are any rules about not using Japanese sets here!