Hi,

I'm looking for info on ski areas that are within a 30 min bus ride/train trip from any largish city.

I know that Japan has a habit of calling places cities, that most other countries would call towns, so I'm only looking really for the larger cities, that genuinely deserve the title of city.

Any info to potential ski areas appreciated.

thanks

Well, based on the UK definition of a city - say 100,000 + population - this is an endless question. Nagano? Niigata? Morioka? Sendai? Aomori? Asahikawa? The cities in Northern Kanto on the shinkansen lines? The point is that there are many, many ski resorts within 30 minutes of major cities.

First of all you should say whether your preferences are any more narrow and whether you are asking this question because you are thinking of coming to live or stay in Japan. That'd narrow it down a bit.

Just remember, there are lots of cities in Japan that you've never heard of which have big populations, in a country of nearly 130 milion people! It's better for you to work out where you prefer to be and then find out what's accessible. This is a ski forum, not a geography lesson.

SdS

I'm just after pure infomation, nothing more, nothing less - lived in Japan for 2 years - and am not planning on coming back for a while.

Anyone know the nearest ski area from Sapporro centre is, and how long it would take to get there?

Bankei (small) literally right in town. From JR Sapporo, less than 10-minutes on subway, then 10 to 15-minutes on Bankeibus (excluding the wait for transfers).

Teine Highland (larger) From JR Sapporo, 20-minutes on subway, then 20-minutes or so on bus.

Moiwa (medium, ski only) From JR Sapporo, 20-minutes on subway, 15 to 20-minutes on bus.

Makomanai (medium) about the same as Moiwa

Takino (really small, one lift, but lots of XC trails) about the same as Moiwa