Hello All. How are you?

I am thinking of coming over to Japan to ski with my girlfriend. Problem is my girlfriend does not ski. Is it possible for me to join up with ski groups in so that i am not skiing alone? Any recommendations will help.

Hey, courier,

you are unlikely to have a problem finding someone to ski with. You could, for example, join a lesson, or just talk to people in the hotel/pension and hook up with them for a day.

If the GF does not ski, she might have more of a problem, depending on where you go and where you stay. For example, if you go to Hirafu and stay in the upper village, she may find that after a couple of days she becomes restless. That would be a time to take a day trip to Kutchan, or Otaru or even Sapporo.

OTOH, if you stay in a village/town near to a ski-jo, she might find plenty of things to look at (and spend your money on!) while you slide. It all depends on your perspective.

Whatever, YOU will have a great time - You might evenbe able to convince her to have a go - that'd be ideal! (and likely to be less expensive in the long term wink )

hey thanks. i suppose hooking up with a ski lesson or going out with people i meet from my digs is the best option. How do i go about booking lessons then? I reckon i would need to go out with some intermediate/advanced lessons or something

Well Ideally i wouldnt want to leave my non skiing girlfriend in a ski resort all day. Are there an resorts close to places that have things for skiers and non skiers? OR perhaps an ideal place for some one with a medium to advanced ability and someone just learning?

From my experience (all of 3 trips - 2 to Niseko and one to Furano) your GF will not have a lot to do around Niseko. Oh, sure, she can do a trip to Otaru (but that's likely not to be a lot of fun without you) and Kutchan is hardly a tourist mecca.

Furano is a town in its own right, with some to see, but it is limited value for non-skiiers. She could do a trip to Asahikawa, the zoo and other stuff (but again not a lot of fun without someone to share with).

Others will have ideas about other places as I have not been everywhere in Japan (surprise, surprise!). These are just my observations.

I ski all the time by myself - I am not as advanced as the rest of our group so they all go off for the day and I do my own thing. Gets lonely sometimes but I don't mind. smile

Your girlfriend should give skiing a go, the Family Ace Run in Niseko is AWESOME for beginners. There is only going to be limited things for her to do if she doesn't ski. You can let her know that there is a 5 storey shopping centre in Otaru that is a must visit without partners lol !! Oh yeah and what about the crazy Pachino arcades!!