lol

I have no idea what they are called, words fail me. But in some sports shops I have noticed some long sleeved t-shirts that claim to have some technology that keeps you warm and toasty if you wear that as a lower level. Something different than normal thermals.

Anyone able to shed any light on that for me - and are things like that effective?

Thanks

Thermals?

I guess the rule is stay away from cotton, it gets saturated in sweat and you turn cold.

I have a pair of the "sport" numbers (expensive ones) and a pair of Uni Qlo's heat Tech range (cheap as chips) and the Uni Qlo ones are just as good. Funnily enough there was a thing on TV last night about how warm Uni Qlo's thermal range is

I second that, Tubs. Cheap Japanese thermals rock the house. My long sleeve 1000 yen thermo from Homac (big hardware DIY store) is the final word in warmth. Can't believe I paid 4000 - 5000 in Oz for similar quality from big name shops.

Patricia - are you talking about Neoprene thermals? They're pretty big here. It's thin wetsuit material. I imagine they'd get wiffy, but not sure. They're more expensive so maybe they've sussed the smell factor out. Let me know if you want a price from a DIY store. I can also get you a price on a motion-sensor fitted self-opening toilet if you like. (you laugh now but imagine how handy that'd be when you stagger home after 10 pints in the sun and a kebab!) wink

Older uniqlo thermals from two years ago were half cotton, but the newer heat tech ones are all synthetic. Out of the more expensive ones, Patagonia's capilene shirts are super comfy. The "lightweight" ones are warm enough yet still great for other stuff like MTB.

Personally, I don't think its good to wear synthetics next to the ol' family jewels all winter. Silk etc. is better.

Yep I bought the Uniqlo's thermal indoor wear last year, cheap, but really warm and comfy.

I quite like Uniqlo clothes, plain and simply which I like and quite the european style, which I also like. Trouble is almost everything is too small for me, but luckly recently they have been coming out with XXL items so giving me slightly more choice now, otherwise its Sakazen where all the sumo wrestlers go for their clothing.

Some of the Itoyokodo and Daiei shops do large size clothing up to 4L or 5L and quite a resonable price too for any of you who like me have trouble finding your size.

You are probably referring to the "performance" fabrics made by a handful of manufacturers.

Outlast

Breath Thermo by Mizuno

Capilene by Patagonia

Uniqlo Heat Tech

You get what you pay for, basically. My hot blooded gaijin friends can all get by with cotton thermals or cheapo Uniqlo Heat Tech undergarments while I spare no expense to stay warm on the slopes being the frosty man I am. I wear expedition (thick) weight Outlast on top and Breath Thermo on the bottom.

Also might want to take a look at CW-X and similar which "provides targeted support to specific muscles and joints in the body where it is needed most." In other words, these are the compression tights which are used by professional atheletes.

All the best,

I would say that you can tell the difference between the UniQlo and more recognised brands but the price difference is not worth it.

My HH thermals are really warm and I love them but I can buy 4-5 pairs of the UniQlo ones and still have almost the same effect.

My 2 yen worth

Unfortunately the links which I spent time to search and post so that Patricia could make an informed decision by easily researching the various options must have gotten deleted by a moderator. Pity. So, Google is your new friend, I won't waste my time posting URLs anymore.

Back to the discussion. There are big differences between the fabrics, especially when it comes to the durability wash after wash. The Uniqlo fabrics are inexpensive, good for the recreational skier/rider. But the performance fabrics stand up to repeated use and stay warm. Some of the Uniqlo garments start to pill.

Like I said before, if you are cold blooded, you will enjoy the benefits of a much better solution. Whether you value that as a multiple of the price of the cheapo Uniqlo garments is a subjective decision.

If you really want to know about what to use in extreme, cold weather conditions, do a search for what backcountry skiers/riders use.

All the best,

• SnowJapan Moderator
Quote:
Unfortunately the links which I spent time to search and post so that Patricia could make an informed decision by easily researching the various options must have gotten deleted by a moderator. Pity.

A very quick glance at our (basically unchanged in 2 years) links policy would have saved you the time of researching and posting 6 commercial website links in one thread, and at the same time go some way to explaining why we have the policies we have.

Quote:
I won't waste my time posting URLs anymore.

Thanks!

-----

PWL, I'm sorry for going off-topic. I'm sure if you want to find them a very quick search on those friendly search engines will help.

Merry Christmas.

Thanks.

Totally no worries SJ, you do a fantastic job I have nothing but admiration for what you have done with this site/forums, they're brilliant. clap

I'm a newbie to skiing so I'll just get toasty in some thermals I think. Really looking forward to my first ever ski! dance

Thanks for the clarification. Your playground, I try to abide by the rules while providing lots of on topic information rather than chatter but must have misunderstood the policy. No commerciality intended...

Back to the conversation. One poster mentioned neoprene. While it may be great for wetsuits and face masks (with breathing holes), it is unsuitable for undergarments because they do not breathe. The fabric needs to wick, which means to draw the water away from the body and out.

The super performance fabrics not only wick water, they trap heat and release it when it is needed (if you believe the explanation from the manufacturers).

Happy Boxing Day.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys me and my daughter are both in the market for some new undergarments and I have had a look at those UNIQLO gear and it looks pretty good and cheap compared to theiving prices they charge here in OZ. I'm going to Niseko, where's the best place to get my hands on this stuff please? Thanks in advance

I have worked in a few gear shops in my day, and lived and skied in some damn cold places. Most of the comments here seem to be pretty close to the mark. I am going to do a quick summary and expand a little bit.

The key to keeping warm, is keeping dry, in order to do this you have to get all the sweat you produce while riding away from your skin. Virtually all of the products above are designed to to do this. Problems emerge when this moisture come up against cotton, which absorbs moisture, which makes you damp and cold or when the it comes against an un-breathable layer. So if you are going to spend any money on moisture managing clothing, make sure you don't wear a cotton t-shirt under it or a yellow rain slicker over it.

All of the products mentioned in the forum so far I think can fit into 5 pretty generalized categories:

CHEAP SYNTHETICS (uniqlo stuff, and other generic poly based clothes)

-the great thing about these is that they are cheap and are way better than cotton, the downside is that they often stink and do not last if you use them everyday.

Great for the recreational rider that only gets out once and a while, and doesnt want to drop a lot of cash.

EXPENSIVE SYNTHETICS (Helly Hansen lifa, Patagonia Capaline)

-these are more money - partially to pay for advertising, and partially to pay for the R/D that the companies do. The R/D aspect usually delivers a higher tech fabric that moves moisture better and doesn't stink as much. Also a big difference in quality. I have a lifa top and Capaline bottom that I have used pretty hard for a decade and they are still in great shape. Patagonia is also a pioneer in "green" manufacturing and business practices.

great for people that use there gear hard and often.

CHEAP MERINO WOOL

- merino wool is what god made to keep warm I think. It usually comes in at about the same price of the expensive synthetics but has the added benefit of insulating as well as moisture management. Same as the cheap synthetic - they don't generally hold up as well and as long as brand name stuff.

great for people who get really cold, really fast and don't want to drop as much cash of cash

HIGHEND MERINO (Smartwool, Icebreaker)

- Doesn't stink, doesn't itch, keeps you warm and dry, washes well, lasts a long time, costs a fortune.

If you can afford to spend three days worth of lift tickets on a pair of long underwear - you will not be disappointed (or cold, or damp)

COMBINATION POLY AND MERINO

-There are a few of these crossbreeds around that sometimes offer the best of both materials, and sometimes offer the worst. My partner has a pair of Helly Hansen Prowool underwear that she swears by - very warm.

The above info comes from my own successes and failures in technical clothing purchases, as well as many, many customers anecdotes that I am glad I dont have to listen to anymore. One fact that is pretty tough to get around (and I have tried) is that you get what you pay for.