Airline staff - expect discounts?

No offence to any airline staff reading this, but why do they seem to feel that they deserve discounts on things? What makes "I work for an airline" give them the right to get things cheaper?

:rant off:

Nope. Friend of mine has a pension and every time they get some contact from airline staff it's "Do you offer discounts for airline staff" from the go. WFT?!

Next time I think I'll ask "Do you offer discounts to people who own small companies?" and see if I get something.

i think its whats called "in the trade" We used to get some really great deals on hotels around the world when my wife used to work for a travel/hotel company. Something crazy like $25 per night for 4-5 star places, and upgrades to suite rooms etc

We have some business relationships with certain airlines and if staff from that airline approach us for accommodation I have no problem with offering as good a deal as I'm able. Word of mouth is one of the most powerful marketing tools out there so it doesn't hurt to look after people in certain industries.

That is exactly why they get the discount. WORD OF MOUTH if you look after them they hopefully recommend you next time someone is looking for a motel.

Airline Staff get heaps of perks with their job - Cheap accommodation, Super Cheap flights anywhere, they can claim nearly everything back on tax including their makeup, perfume, pantyhose, taxi's etc.

A travel agent, yes they are more likely to be in the position to give advice and recommendations for places to stay but trolley dollies? how often are they in reality going to be in a position to recommend your establishment to passengers?. No more than a taxi driver, bus driver, waiter, convenience store clerk et al.

Mina2, I think they perhaps have an overinflated sense of their importance or influence. The are just milking a cow they know often has milk in it for them.

[scene not likely to seen on a plane]....."would you like tea or coffee sir?" ..."actually I would like some advice on a good pension to stay at while in Niseko, what do you recommend?" rolleyes.gif

SG I'm tipping you're not in marketing. It's not the airline's customers who you'd be wanting the 'word of mouth' to get to. Airline staff obviously travel a lot and often know plenty of people throughout the airline and travel industry including many of the pilots. Do you have any idea how many pilots have invested in property in Niseko? You'd be amazed at how many clients from SE Asia and Australia that come here each year who can be directly linked back to a few pilots who invested here. Don't underestimate the value of looking after airline staff.

Sorry SG I totally agree with GN. I am in marketing and retail and I am telling you FIRST HAND if you scratch someone's back they will definitely look after you. I network a lot and that is were I have got a lot of my return business and recommendations from.

That was funny SG. But i guess its GN is right with "word of mouth".

Its like in Europe many ski instructors can eat free at restaurants....becasue they will reccomend to customers. Doesnt seem to work here so much in Japan.

I do know that some restaurants near to foreign pensions/hotels do have a special night where the owners and workers of said places do go for a "sample night"

I wouldn't feel comfortable grubbing around for freebies all the time. Airlines staff (hostesses, travel agents etc) get paid pretty poorly these days I believe so I guess they need these perks.

Makes sense but I know what you're saying bobby12. Really always in your face though - "I work for an airline, can I have a discount please?" I doubt the impact is much less in a much lesser known place.

Airline staff will always ask for a discount as I will always ask for a discount on a new board of car or whatever. Technically they are supposed to provide you with a membership card to their union/trade group etc to be able to receive discounts but it seems that only the large hotels/resort groups offer anything really worthwhile these days. Working for an airline has its perks sometimes but you are the first bumped off the flight when it becomes full, you have to wait until one month out before booking your flights which are not always cheaper if the flight is really full, you often cannot get onto popular routes and you can fly with your airline only (no codeshare).

Travel agents have it a bit better as, like mentioned above, they are directly selling to customers and able to use persuasive measures to point you in one direction or another. Thus, agent rates can be as little as 50US per night in 5 star off peak which is great if you just want to chill in luxury. Again though, there are only so many rooms, hotels etc that are available.

Mina2, your friend who runs the pension should also do this when they travel i.e ask for a discount; think of how many people come through the pension that could be recommended to a particular hotel if that hotel provided a discount to them..