Hi folks.

My first time on skis is approaching, getting excited.

I was looking at goggles over the weekend and wasn't able to catch a sales guy (shops were surprisingly busy) but wondering what people who wear eyeglasses do when our skiing and snowboarding? Do you wear them under goggles?

Sorry for the noob question!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear contacts. I found that when I wore over-the-glasses goggles (you have to ask for them specially), my specs would fog up at the bottoms of runs. I you get OTG goggles, make sure they have plenty of ventilation.

Thanks. My eyes don't react well to contact lenses and so I can't use those unfortunately. I might be able to ski without glasses but I'm sure I'd enjoy it more (and be slightly safer!) with them on!

Our youngest son has coke bottle lens and wears his glasses fulltime, but as he has been unable to convince the optomotrist to give him contacts (can't get them in without me holding him down!) he has been snowboarding blind. I want him to get contact for his other sports as well, but alas nothing yet.

Have never seen OTG goggles for small people (aka 9yr olds).

By the time we come home from any given ski trip poor kid is crosseyed due to eye muscle exhaustion from trying to compensate.

Has anyone ever heard of ski goggles being made to prescription? I know they do sport goggles (but they are not suitable for his other sports of Water Polo and Rugby due to concerns of eye socket fracture) but maybe they would work for snow sports?

I use contacts:)

I would try to avoid the optomotrist as much as possible once you know your prescription they generally overcharge alot for goods(especially contact lenses) and go straight to the companys that make the goggles and snow/ski retailers. Search for prescription ski goggles youll get plenty of hits

You can get custom made lenses to fit into most goggle frames

If your prescription is really high then you will have to get opitcal adaptors(these clip in behind your goggles) you can also get goggles specially made for the adaptors to fit however.

I've seen prescription swimming goggles, diving/scuba goggles, and sports glasses for like biking and whatnot, but for snow goggles, I've only seen the "over the glasses" kind, and those are few and far between. Both of my regular riding buddies need prescription - one uses contacts, and the other uses OTG's. The general problem with the OTG's is the channel in the foam for the glasses earstocks makes the glasses frame want to index into a particular space within the goggle, so the wearer might have to run the goggles unnaturally high or low so the glasses line up properly. Oh, yeah, and he definitely has a problem with the fogging like keba said!

I wear glasses under my goggles.. the goggles I have are smiths & haven't had any problem.

I spent a fair amount on my glasses, but the ones I have are titanium which can be bent out of shape without damaging the frame.. Highly recommended glasses if you are uncomfortable with wearing contacts.

I wear contacts most of the time and sometimes glasses, using the Oakley O Frame. The Proven OTG Snow model is for using with glasses.

http://oakley.com/pd/5648

Suggest that you try on many models, as some goggles that are not OTG specific also can work depending on the glasses.

Good luck,

I'm sure this has been pointed out before, but to prevent fogging put your goggles on before you step onto the snow, and don't touch them until you step off the snow. That's it. They hate changes in temp.

If you don't move them and they still fog up, you're too hot.

Originally Posted By: Greenroome
If you don't move them and they still fog up, you're too hot.

I tend to sweat a lot, so by the bottom of a long run, they'll fog. Not so much of a problem with this in Japan though since the resorts are smaller, but I always have trouble in Whistler.

Goggles need big, openable vents in addition to the foam-screened ones.

Swans makes goggles with a fan, but not sure if they have an OTG version.