• Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear a helmet for snowboarding but not for skiing. I tend to do more stupid things with snowboarding than with skiing... like I stacked it, heard a pretty nasty crack and then found out I hit my head on the board's edge and ended up cracking the outer shell [edit: I never realised I was that flexible either >_>]. I was pretty glad I had a helmet on at that time ^^;.

I think we, Japanese, tend to put more faith in a ski/board good-luck charm rather than a helmet ;P. We should totally have that as another option!

i think also in Japan there is a cetain trend that is.

1. Im too good for a helmet

2. Im a good skier so i need a helmet (becasue i go fast and look cool)

Which means beginners are not wearing but only some of the better skiers.

Each to their own I suppose, but my thinking is once you start doing things that we were not really designed to do, it probbaly makes some sense to consider the dangers and risks and perhaps take some precautions. Once you start doing a sport that takes you faster than you could run, I think you are at risk. I chose to wear a helmet while skiing mainly because I am worried about hitting a tree. Same on a Mountain Bike. Perhaps it would be more exciting without the helmet on, but it's exciting enough for me already as is. I have been on lifts with people that do not have helmets on who make some smart macho comment about helmets. Anyway, I doubt they would have anything else to say that I would be interested in listening to either. Personally I think the wearing of helmets should be encouraged, not the opposite. There are enough bad accidents happening on the mountains every day.

Originally Posted By: stemik
i think also in Japan there is a cetain trend that is.
1. Im too good for a helmet
2. Im a good skier so i need a helmet (becasue i go fast and look cool)

Which means beginners are not wearing but only some of the better skiers.

Definitely a lot has to do with "looking a certain way" methinks.

Also, a danger of wearing a helmet is that it gives the wearer a false sense of security. "I'm wearing a helmet so I can't be damaged" feeling, meaning that they take more risks than they would do without a helmet, despite the fact that the helmet itself only offers limited additional protection.

Exachary! That is the reason Volvo drivers are to be avoided at all costs! They have a sense of invincibility about them because of the "so called" safety built into their car. That means they can do no wrong.

M y baby is 24, she's old enough to make up her own mind, and would not take kindly to her old man telling her what to do. Up to them!

Originally Posted By: JA
M y baby is 24, she's old enough to make up her own mind, and would not take kindly to her old man telling her what to do. Up to them!

And if they were 10 and belting it through the trees ? Still let them decide ?
Originally Posted By: gurgle

wouldnt they be drowning in powder?

Last Jan one of mine was 10 and belting through tree's - and he wore a helmet.

Papa and I both initially wore helmets because we make our kids wear helmets - and we now wouldn't go out without them. Mr "I-am-15-and-sexy-and-the-stupid-helmet-messes-with-my-cool-appearance-and-stops-me-from-picking-up-chicks" would jump on ANY infraction of the helmet rule to take his own off. Nah-ah! When you are over 18 you can make your own mind up Buddy!!! Until then we are the parents, we are responsible. Must admit, they have had enough knocks to the head with helmets on that I think they will keep wearing them after they reach 18.

And I am not sure it gives a false sense of security for most users. I think most helmet users have paid some attention to what they are doing, and how they interact with the environment and others, and are therefore aware of broader alpine safety issues as well as knowing the limitations of their helmets.

Edited to add:

Drowning in Powder? Nah - my 8 yr old could have done with a snorkel, but not the 10 yr old.

Originally Posted By: gurgle
My baby is 24, she's old enough to make up her own mind, and would not take kindly to her old man telling her what to do. Up to them!

Irrelevant. She ain't never gonna be 10 again, so I do not have to decide.
Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
Quote:

They'd be stuck in the onsen or grass skiing right now. wink

Yep, I`m off mudboarding at Kawaba on Tuesday wakaranai
Originally Posted By: torihada
Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
Quote:

They'd be stuck in the onsen or grass skiing right now. wink

Yep, I`m off mudboarding at Kawaba on Tuesday wakaranai

was going to go there today until I saw the weather forecast...rain from the afternoon!! Looks like I'm not gonna get out until I come back in the New Year, hopefully the snow forecast from Tuesday onwards hits big and I come back to a powder paradise!!!!

As much as I hate to post this;

Shealy et al conclude "...the findings are not particularly supportive of the notion that wearing helmets will significantly reduce the number of fatalities in winter snow sports". This was supported by a presentation at the last ISSS meeting by the Chief Medical Examiner for the state of Vermont, USA - Dr Paul L. Morrow. Dr Morrow was of the opinion that of 54 deaths at commercial ski areas in Vermont from 1979/80 to 1997/98, helmets would not have been of any particular value in saving any of the lives lost - as the degree of trauma simply overwhelmed any benefits that the helmet might convey in an impact. To quote Shealy et al again - a team of highly respected ski injury researchers - "On the basis of results to date, there is no clear evidence that helmets have been shown to be an effective means of reducing fatalities in alpine sports".

Here is the weblink http://www.ski-injury.com/prevention/helmet