1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Someone mentioned helmets in another thread so I thought I'd ask what the situation is this year? You going to use one? Not yet? Why not? wink

I got one last season (Giro) and did not regret the decision.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got knocked out by some idiot even while wearing one last year so yeah...I will be wearing one again.

Instead of a sore neck, headache and back out for another run the next day it could have been the end of my holiday or worse. No, not impenetrable, but neithers a condom and most of you wouldn't dream of flirting with danger without one would ya?

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Never have and never will. Safer? Sure but I just don't care...

I remember you from the smoking thread...."I just dont care"...where do you stand on condoms? seat belts?

GN, sometimes it isn't about you, it's about the other person who might hit you. I hope your new bub is going to wear one.

I never ride without one and love my Pro Tec to bits. Has had the desired effect on many tree branches and low doors in J-land to make me not want to take it off.

Originally Posted By: neversummer
GN, sometimes it isn't about you, it's about the other person who might hit you. I hope your new bub is going to wear one.

I never ride without one and love my Pro Tec to bits. Has had the desired effect on many tree branches and low doors in J-land to make me not want to take it off.

Mate I've been skiing 23 years without one and have no intention of starting now. When you're as good a skier as I am it just isn't an issue worth considering razz

Originally Posted By: SG
I remember you from the smoking thread...."I just dont care"...where do you stand on condoms? seat belts?

Condoms....never used em and never will. As I've always told the girls mate if it's on, it's not on thumbsup

Seatbelts, certainly have used em and generally do. Of course up here where the speed limit is 50km/hr in most places it hardly seems worthwhile. And you do see kids in cars all the time jumping around with no seatbelt on. Of course since I also happen to be a rather incredible driver and have never been involved in an accident in over 20 years driving I probably don't need to wear one. I mainly do it so as not to get fined. coolmirrors

Yeah, I thought cheaper and probably more choices available online, but it's not really something I want to be even a little bit out on in terms of the fitting. My current one is a little too small, although somehow I have managed to put up with it for 10 years, but I don't want to get it wrong again.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
I'm sure there are. Aren't there places in Singapore or online? Bet it's cheaper esp. with the rates as they are.

My last post was in response to this. (Thanks Muikabochi). I am not very good at this.

Mate I've been skiing 23 years without one and have no intention of starting now. When you're as good a skier as I am it just isn't an issue worth considering razz

I wear a helmet, but that's because I really am a pretty crap boarder and has saved my noggin on numerous occasions when I've been rag dolling down the slope. Then again if you aint crashing you aint pushing yourself. Thing is it doesn't matter how good you are; a lapse of concentration, an idiot boarder/skier wiping you out; you cant control an accident once it happens but you can get yourself some insurance.

I had a MTB crash earlier this year; hit the ground at 25 mph; snapped ligaments in my shoulder and split my helmet from front to back. It saved my life (still had facial bruising even with chin gaurd) but while I was waiting for lift to hospital guys on big DH rigs were passing me with no helmets; offroad organ donors. Trouble is we all think we're invincible until we hit a tree/gondola support/rock etc head first. If you aint wearing helmet, please carry a donor card, I may need your kidneys stir
Originally Posted By: torihada

I wear a helmet, but that's because I really am a pretty crap boarder and has saved my noggin on numerous occasions when I've been rag dolling down the slope. Then again if you aint crashing you aint pushing yourself. Thing is it doesn't matter how good you are; a lapse of concentration, an idiot boarder/skier wiping you out; you cant control an accident once it happens but you can get yourself some insurance.

I had a MTB crash earlier this year; hit the ground at 25 mph; snapped ligaments in my shoulder and split my helmet from front to back. It saved my life (still had facial bruising even with chin gaurd) but while I was waiting for lift to hospital guys on big DH rigs were passing me with no helmets; offroad organ donors. Trouble is we all think we're invincible until we hit a tree/gondola support/rock etc head first. If you aint wearing helmet, please carry a donor card, I may need your kidneys stir

Helmets dont make your head tree or rock proof they really only prevent cuts and bruises or small concussions. Should take a look at the recent study done by the canadian ski association; heres a quote "the use of a helmet will cushion the brain from a sudden impact to a certain amount, but in the instances when a fatality is likely, it will be unlikely to cushion it enough"

Not likely to get a helmet. With 60 years of life behind me, I don't feel there's any need to worry about it too much. If I go, I go - and I've had a good time getting there!

OK, I'd really prefer that I didn't quit right now, but I do not feel the need to waste money (and the glorious feeling of freedom I get in the mountains) on a brain bucket, especially as they are just a way of keeping the barin matter in roughly the same place as the rest of the body while the medics try to keep the rest of me together long enough to pronounce me dead at the hospital.

Gruesome? Probably! Selfish? Probably! At least +1 will not try to keep me alive when there's no hope of a "full and fruitful" life. I want, and she understands, the plug to be pulled at the very first opportunity, if there is no hope.

Then I want my ashes scattered around my olive grove. Far better to be usefull as feertiliser than become worm food!

Originally Posted By: Youdy

Helmets dont make your head tree or rock proof they really only prevent cuts and bruises or small concussions. Should take a look at the recent study done by the canadian ski association; heres a quote "the use of a helmet will cushion the brain from a sudden impact to a certain amount, but in the instances when a fatality is likely, it will be unlikely to cushion it enough"

I have had a lot of bike related crashes over the years on and off road. With probably 4 or 5 direct head to hard surface impacts at high speed (+ 20 mph). These have saved me from concussion/fractured skulls and my snowboard helmet is much heavier duty than my MTB lids. Obviously on the piste you've got slightly softer surfaces; snow, but have you ever caught an edge and slammed onto an icy piste back of head making direct contact with ground?

Its a personal choice to wear a helmet (and I used to be militant anti helmet - until I got hit by a car) but to say that a helmet will not save you from anything but cuts, bruises and small concussions is just tosh. I accept in an all encompassing catastrophic accident with internal injuries, spinal fractures etc etc you're probably toast anyway, but if you survive, the helmet may be the difference between spending the rest of your life in a vegetative state and recovery. So though I support the personal choice bit, it wont stop me singing the praises of helmets.

I have first hand experience of low speed helmet-less head injury; its no fun seeing a friend with a reduced mental age and no recollection of you.

We all choose the level of risk we are willing to take in this life. I must say I found Australia to be a way over the top nanny society. There's hardly anything you can do without warnings everywhere. Obviously many Aussies have taken this to heart and take the sensible precautionary path in much they do. It's just not for me.

I like taking risks. I like the idea that when I'm racing down through the trees in Niseko if I stuff up and hit a tree I could die. It adds that much more excitement to the sport for me. Wearing a helmet would reduce my enjoyment. I'm a bit like JA in that I'm no longer young, I've done some amazing things in my life and I don't worry overly much about it ending prematurely. I'm inherently a very selfish person and have no problem with it.

Clearly I am with torihada on this one.

Yes I have caught an edge and whacked my head on icy piste.

Yes I have been hit from behind by an intoxicated Aussie male skier and knocked out. I had no treatment after my accident other than some voltarin for my stiff neck, but I had altered sensation in my face and partial vision loss on one side for 2 days - clearly a concussion - but by the time I got home and could see a Doc it was all good. Remove the helmet and I might have needed the travel insurance. In fact as I have a blood clotting disorder I might not be here now.

I do understand GN though. Lets face it I am not prepared to forgo Snowboarding and Wakeboarding just coz I might bleed out. I call that risk taking, even though I stick a helmet on. But I do try to stay safe while I have my fun so I am still around for my kids.

Live, enjoy, and if you want to add some protection for your noggin then slap on a helmet. It does make a difference.

One definite negative thing about helmets is they increase the mass and therefore the inertia of your head. Although they have the tendancy to help decrease the level of injury to your head on major impacts, on minor falls or spills, a helmet will increase the likelyhood of a "whiplash"-type neck strain.

Live with a sore neck or die with a split skull or brain injury?

What a depressing and scary thread...

I've never thought to wear a helmet out skiing! I always assumed that it was kids, and really high risk taking boarders that wore them...

I swear by helmets when i'm out on the bike though! 3 accidents, including a 4 week layup in hospital have taught me that a good quality bike helmet is worth every cent!

Perhaps I should reconsider the helmet decision for the snow though! I guess it would also keep my head nice and warm at the same time!

On the topic of keeping things warm... anyone ever used those little battery powered boot warmer things? Are they any good?