Hello,

I have been reading through these forums and they are great for getting a start before my first ski trip to Japan / Hokkaido.

Big question I cannot get a solid answer for:

I plan on skiing for 2 weeks first and then traveling for 2 weeks. I do not want to pack skis and all the snow gear around with me for those 2 weeks.

I understand there is Takkyubin service, but will they take it for 2 whole weeks? Has anybody done this before?

Ideally I would drop off the skis at the Sapporo airport and pick them up in Narita.

Would really appreciate some insight here!

Thanks,

--scott

Scott,

We did that on our second trip. It cost an arm and a leg to store the skis and ski gear at the secure storage at the airport for about 4 days. It would possibly have been cheaper to send the stuff back home as unaccompanied baggage.

We have since changed our planning so that we travel first, and let Takkyubin take the ski gear to our accommodation for us, to be waiting there when we arrive. I do not know whether Takkyubin will store stuff (Might be on their website, but I have not looked).

I don't think they like storing - I remember once I wasnt in for a package to be delivered and they came every day leaving a notice. Perhaps there is a delayed delivery service or something like that.

Maybe try asking the hotel/pension to hold the skis for you and then takkyubin just before you depart? My guests recently ordered the return service and Takkyubin arrived a day after they left to take them home. Maybe it couold be two weeks later but I'd check first.

Now that's a great idea, neversummer! Great to see a hotel/pension with that sort of care and consideration for their customers. I hope it is normal for other places, too.

That may, in fact be true, but I cannot see any accom place in Oz offering (or agreeing) to that sort of deal. At least, not for nothing.

I understand that it's Japan, and that the service culture is different. I was just commenting that it would not happen in Oz.

Yet another reason I like the place!