I think I just broke the world land speed record today...

for a bicyle.

As it was such a lovely day I thought I would have a bit of a blast on my bike, and didn't realise until I got home and cheked the speedometer, but I got a maximum speed of 67.5 k/h and that was on a flat road.

I thought I was going quite fast as I was over taking several cars going down shin ome kaido here in Tokyo, but didn't realise how fast until I got back.

Maybe this speed is not so fast for a road race bike, but I did this on a 6 speed small wheeled folding bike!

Sorry just wanted to tell someone else about this!

A tired cyclist stuck his thumb out for a lift. After 3 hours he hadn't got anyone to stop. Eventually, a guy in a sports car pulled over and offered him a lift but, of course, the bike wouldn't fit in the car. The driver got some rope out of his boot [trunk] and tied it to his bumper. He tied the other end to the bike and told the rider, 'If I go too fast, ring your bell and I'll slow down.'

Everything went well until another sports car overtook them. The driver forgot all about the cyclist and put his foot down. A short distance down the road, they hammered through a speed trap. The cop with the radar gun radioed ahead to his colleague that 2 sports cars were heading his way at over 150 mph. He then added, 'And you're not going to believe this - there's a cyclist behind them ringing his bell to pass.

• SnowJapan Moderator

snowdude - while we encourage people to upload snow pics, could you upload pics like the above to somewhere else and link them in? I don't think most of our readership will be interested in photos these photos and when you upload them to our site they are there for everyone to see in the Galleries.

If you want ideas of free photo hosting services please PM me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: SJ#4
snowdude - while we encourage people to upload snow pics, could you upload pics like the above to somewhere else and link them in? I don't think most of our readership will be interested in photos these photos and when you upload them to our site they are there for everyone to see in the Galleries.

If you want ideas of free photo hosting services please PM me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Thanks

Ok sorry, I will change the post and simply link to my gallery. I am ok for hosting services I have my own thank you anyway.
  • SnowJapan Moderator
Originally Posted By: snowdude
Originally Posted By: SJ#4

Thanks

I am ok for hosting services I have my own thank you anyway.

That wasn't a sales message (we don't have any photo hosting services anyway) - I was just trying to help. There are lots of free services out there where you can upload any kind of photo for free and then you can of course show that photo on the forums by using the URL link of the photo.

Yes please use the URL of the photos to add them to the Forums.

Thanks
  • SnowJapan Moderator

No sorry snowdude - the photos are still on our site and still showing on our main Gallery pages.

What I'm trying to say is that we would prefer you to upload these photos to somewhere else - a free photo hosting service - and then you can link them in.

If our Photo section was used by everyone to upload photos that have nothing to do with winter sports or Japan, it would soon become a big unfocused mess.... and that would not be good for anyone. I hope that makes sense.

I will PM you with more information on places where you can easily upload photos for nothing.

Originally Posted By: thursday
A tired cyclist stuck his thumb out for a lift. After 3 hours he hadn't got anyone to stop. Eventually, a guy in a sports car pulled over and offered him a lift but, of course, the bike wouldn't fit in the car. The driver got some rope out of his boot [trunk] and tied it to his bumper. He tied the other end to the bike and told the rider, 'If I go too fast, ring your bell and I'll slow down.'

Everything went well until another sports car overtook them. The driver forgot all about the cyclist and put his foot down. A short distance down the road, they hammered through a speed trap. The cop with the radar gun radioed ahead to his colleague that 2 sports cars were heading his way at over 150 mph. He then added, 'And you're not going to believe this - there's a cyclist behind them ringing his bell to pass.

lol lol
Is that your longest post ever thurs?
Originally Posted By: Mantas
Originally Posted By: thursday

lol lol
Is that your longest post ever thurs?

Thats a cut and paste post Manatas.
I think his longest ever post was the night skiing in Niseko post....

67kph on a small wheeled folding bike?!?! dude, if that that case then you should have been at the Olympics on the track or road time trial because that is insanely fast.

A top team pursuiter on the track can hold a speed of 60 kph for a few minutes, Chris Hoy of Scotland the worlds best track sprint cyclist can grind out 70kph for a few seconds. These are insanely light bikes ridden on super smooth flat surfaces.

Fabian Cancellara the worlds best time triallist can hit nearly 80kph on his road time trial bike with a 55 tooth gear on flat roads.

If you hit a genuine 67 on a flat road on a small wheeled folding bike then I take my hat of to you sir, because that is smoking!

I tried it it out myself yesterday on my road bike, I ground it out on a dead flat piece of road, not drafing behind cars, no tailwind and my speedo said 55 kph max.

Was your speedo calibrated right? if it were calibrated for a larger wheel bike it would give you a higher than expected reading on your small wheels.