Has anyone ever managed to get import tax back from the Japanese tax people after it has been incorrectly charged?

My buddy in Niseko had to pay 1man for collection of a package that I sent out containing my battered snowboard kit - they claimed it was new stuff and slapped an import tax on it. The kit was all bought in Japan 4 years ago, for which I have the receipts...

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

was the snowboard used? Did it say used on the shipping invoice.

1man is indeed a lot of tax. are you sure it is all tax and not paperwork as well? was the board sent by courier or by shipping company?

Thats a lot! My new mountain bike was only like 5000 yen. Ive gotten skis sent over twice and no tax. Tons of stuff off sac and theyve never been taxed. Each item shouldve (?) been itemized and taxed - how much were each items? Some items which cant be shipped overseas might be taxed. I think the Arcteryx Sidewinder jackets that Kuma and I got were slapped with a tax but it was pretty minor. Sucks to pay a man though!

It was all used - but the company that I shipped it with had a really strict form to fill in.

In the customs declaration box the only options were things like "gift, sale, repair, return" No option for used personal goods.

I put gift down, but I'm thinking now repair or return might have been better options.

I itemized the entire box and the total I estimated at about £500 (which is what, 500yen at current interest rates!?)

Not sure whether it included all the paperwork and processing in that tax bill, and it was shipped by interparcel, who then passed it on to DHL.

DHL and interparcel...that makes it much easier. Call DHL in Japan and tell them you think you have been overcharged on used goods (unaccompaied baggage) to Japan. They should be able to claim back the tax. It might take serveral weeks but fingers crossed.

Paperwork and processing is actually included in the price with a courier service like interparcel/DHL

Or several months. Took my friend 7 weeks to get something back.

I remember once I got tax taken off a maturing bond in the UK when it shouldn't have been. Took 6 months to get that back!!!