Tsukiji fish market closed for tourists

Don't really understand the attraction myself. I've helped out at the docks in Iwanai unloading fish from boats which was fun enough but standing around watching auctions...I just don't get it. Not a place I've ever wanted to go to.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caught that myself just before coming to work. They were total idiots and I almost felt sorry for the Japanese dudes who were just trying to get on with their work.

Also didn't notice any Japanese, seemed 100% foreigners from what I saw - I wonder if many Japanese actually do go there.

Not itching to get there myself either.

I can imagine them making more of a story out of it than it deserved though. Idiots? Sure. But what % of the people are causing no problems?

Like someone else said they should really prepare a special area and charge people a bit to get in.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
If you tell them you are there for scientific research then I think they will have to let you in ;-)

Only if you have a club and a machete

Funny that its because of the problem gaijin, of course not the Japanese tourists. I saw this on NHK news, there was a big sign up saying that visitors were prohibited in the auction house and there was this guy giving the big crossed-arm signal to a Gaij women with him shouting at her "No allow, no allow!!", she looked as if she was just walking past the door and made no attempt to actually enter. lol
Quote:
Funny that its because of the problem gaijin, of course not the Japanese tourists.

But do Japanese tourists visit it? Like someone else mentioned in the pieces I have seen on tv in the last few days, almost all of the people looking on were foreigners.

Am I being cynical or could it be that too many gaijin are appauled at the number of fish being caught? Japan has an appauling track record for exceeding fish quotas.they harvest more fish, particularly tuna, than any othe rnation on earth.

maybe this stuff is better not to be seen by pesky gaijin.

I'd like to go there. I'd pay good money to be appauled.

Some people appalled, perhaps.

The Japanese consume 25% of the world's tuna catch. No bad going. It's not just the Japanese catching the blue fin. It's very lucrative so everybody is at it and selling to the Japanese.

thurs, the spelling nazi! I was appalled at the spelling too, but thought to let it slide.

I'd pay a small entry fee to have a look at the auction process and the markets afterwards. I didn't see the report (obviously!) but could someone who did, tell me if the other parts of the markets are still open? As I mentioned earlier, we have planned to go there for a look, but might have to give it a miss if the ban stays on, or if the ban includes the rest of the markets there as well.

Guess it depends on your definition of fun... In retrospect, I could actually pass on the actual auction process and just stroll through the wholesale market area then go grab a bite to eat and be satisfied.

Originally Posted By: The Skiing Lawyer
Quote:
Funny that its because of the problem gaijin, of course not the Japanese tourists.

But do Japanese tourists visit it? Like someone else mentioned in the pieces I have seen on tv in the last few days, almost all of the people looking on were foreigners.

Not many. It is almost all foreigners (the two times I have been and on other accounts I hear) and so the 'foreigner' angle is justified.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's a fish market. If you're not there to buy fish, find something else to do. I can't believe it's a tourist attraction... "Oooh, look at that.... fish!"

Having said that, never been there.