Tsukiji fish market closed for tourists

I see Tsukiji market is closed for visitors for a month or so. Seems too many gaijin turning up to see the big fishes be sold. 「マナーé•åã€ã€€(bad manners) apparently is one reason.

- smoking

- flash

- gaijin

If that's so, I wonder if they'll open up again?

Is (was) it worth getting up early to go and see?

外国人ã¯ãƒžãƒŠãƒ¼ã‚’守ã£ã¦ã»ã—ã„ã§ã™ã­ is how they finished up on the news now.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw this on the evening NHK news, coupled with the dropping of tourist rates. The funny thing is that they focus solely on foreigners being banned from the auction area, then right at the end, just after the VT finishes, they mention that Japanese have also been 'banned' too.

This is supposed to be for one month, due to foreigners smoking, taking photos with flash photography and 'abusing' the fish :S .

Is it me or is anyone else surprised that they know that this is often a highlight in many people's holiday over here, but why haven't they made a special tier for people to look down on the auction?

• SnowJapan Admin

Just out of interest - in a recent JNTO questionnaire taken between July and September this year (845 respondents), when asked what was the most interesting experience during their visit, a rather large 24.1% of people said the fish market. People were allowed to choose up to 5 things.

The top 10 were:

1 Japanese food

2 Traditional buildings

3 Japanese gardens

4 Onsen

5 Shopping

6 Staying at ryokan

7 Pop culture

8 Modern Japanese stuff

9 Fish market

10 Museums

I've been to the one in Osaka a few times. Normally after staying out all night at techno clubs. It was only a short taxi ride from Rockets.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any really good museums in Japan. Well, the pottery one in Seto was quite good, but I doubt many foreign tourists go there.

Theres a good museum in Tokyo of how old edo looked. I think its called edo museum or something.

Theres another good one in Osaka, the human rights museum.

But yeah, otherwise Japan is badly lacking in this department.

if its so popular why not make them pay to see it? have guides there to make them behave and not molest the fish or smoke or blab to each other in foghorn voices.

Making people pay will get rid of the riffraff and leave only the dedicated visitors who genuinely want to see the market anyway.

Yes, bizarre that:

1) They do not take a very simple logical step to create a viewing space, possibly charging entry to pay for any required staff

2) They take the opportunity to blame it on gaijin, even though Japanese members are also banned.

closed for a month, you say? From when, until when? I will be there in a month from last Thursday (around 12th Jan, that is) hoping to get in to see the markets.

Its on one of the morning programs now

Top caption is

外国人ã®ãƒžãƒŠãƒ¼é•åã§

basically meaning it is closed because of foreigners bad manners.

I have that on here. They have some pissed up blokes taking the piss out of the staff, touching and licking (!) the tuna fish, barging into areas that they shouldn't be in..... they're probably glad to close the place. I'm totally embarrassed to watch it.

I sure wouldn't like to deal with those idiots every morning.