Hi! I am going to spend 2 last weeks of January in Japan - first week in Tokyo and second - in Naeba. It is not my first visit to Japan, my father will be there for business and I have no idea what to do in Tokyo for a week. Any good ideas? Also, is there a place I can rent a bike?

How about visiting the following:

Asakusa --- visit the shrine and the street leading to it, it is filled with Japanese goods and souvenirs.

Shibuya / Harajuku --- You can see all the Tiny boppers and tiny bopper shops, maybe quite interesting if you have never been there

Akihabara --- They sell every electronic thing you can think of including thousands of individual components.

If you like Nightlife then Roppongi should be the go.

Tokyo tower, you can see all of Tokyo and Mount Fuji clearly on a good day. And chances are as you are coming in January the sky will be clear.

Ginza ---- good if you like to browse some of the most expensive shops in the world or if you like to use up your money very quickly

The Palace and its grounds --- quite a pleasant walk around there on a fine sunny day.

As for bike hire sorry not sure, as I live here never thought to rent one. I'm sure if you check with some brochures you can find some places.

Quote:
Tokyo tower, you can see all of Tokyo and Mount Fuji clearly on a good day. And chances are as you are coming in January the sky will be clear.

I recommend the Government Towers in Shinjuku over Tokyo Tower. It is taller and is free! Great views and you don't have people trying to sell you crap!

Meiji Shrine is good for a visit to escape the hustle and bustle. Daikanyama is nice to saunter around as is Shimokitazawa for a more bohemian vibe. Also Korakoen is really nice huge garden/ park. Or do a day trip to Kamakura to see the massive Budah, (Daibutsu) only about 30mins from Tokyo.

For bikes you can actually rent them in Aoyama (near Harajuku) not sure of the company but just do a google.

Depending on what you like to wear, you can pick up some cheap and comfortable clothes at Uniqlo/UT in Shibuya and Omotesando, as well as JeansMate in Takeshita-dori in Harajuku..

Odaiba might be worth a visit.

Ueno Zoo has (from their site) a lot of animals, including pandas, rhinos, tigers and other cool animal. Entry is only 600Y. I can't wait to go there when we visit Tokyo in Feb...

Otherwise... see if you can test drive the GTR biggrin

Wow. Thanks a lot for recomendations.

Actually, I have already seen many of the Tokyo tourist places - Tower, Castle, Akasuka, Ginza, Akihabara, etc. Actually, it is kind boring to hang out there without any goal. I need to visit Quiksilver store at Shibuya area and that is all what is planned. And maybe Kyoto... Ueno Zoo and dolphins are also a great ideas, thanx. But what is Yoyogi and Harajuku?

But what would be fun is to find some new friends in Tokyo, have suchi or nice pasta and share some interesting stories smile Or go to Nagano for a day... So if somebody have time for this, here are my icq 35071457 and public email sogetthis@mail.ru

Thanx for bike recomendation, will google for more information

Quote:
Ginza ---- good if you like to browse some of the most expensive shops in the world or if you like to use up your money very quickly

OTOH, you could wander the streets of the Ginza and wander into the Ginza Lion Beer Hall. Damn good feed in there!
Originally Posted By: Sciclone
Depending on what you like to wear, you can pick up some cheap and comfortable clothes at Uniqlo/UT in Shibuya and Omotesando, as well as JeansMate in Takeshita-dori in Harajuku..

Odaiba might be worth a visit.

Ueno Zoo has (from their site) a lot of animals, including pandas, rhinos, tigers and other cool animal. Entry is only 600Y. I can't wait to go there when we visit Tokyo in Feb...

Otherwise... see if you can test drive the GTR biggrin

the panda is dead, isn't it? Died earlier this year, don't think they have another one yet.

Meiji shrine is cool, as is Yoyogi park (next door) on a Sunday, lots of weird and wonderful people milling around. Odaiba is only worth a visit if you like shopping, there are 3 or 4 shopping malls, but other than that there is nothing to hold your interest. Asakusa is nice, Shibuya at Dusk is cool, all that neon and people crossing and bars and restaurants etc. I guess Kamakura would be fine for a day trip if you've never saw shrines etc, I live close and have been a million times and I'm kinda jaded as a result.

They still have panda/s listed on the Ueno Zoo site. I think they were in talks with one of the zoo's in China to loan one (That's what the article i read when the other one died said)

Also at Odaiba is Sega Joyopolis, a decent size arcade, although you could probably find massive arcades in other areas.

Another place to visit could be Shinagawa. Next to the Prince Hotel is an aquarium with dolphins and stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I took Shinkansen train from Niigata to Tokyo I saw several ski slopes just near the railroad rails. I need to go to Niigata one more time and would like to stop for an hour on one of these slopes.

Can you please tell the names of the stations where these slopes are located? At least for one... Close to the station. I want just to try new snowboard, so there is no need for black with 2 diamonds slope wink

2 Tubby Beaver, thursday

Thanks a lot for "snow street" address! I found everything I need there for reesonable prices.