Driving Narita - Gunma. Expressway or local roads?

Planning my route to NE Gunma from Narita later this week. Last time I let the sat nav take me via Funabashi, ring road round Tokyo and up the Tohoku Expressway to Tatebayshi. It was a very slow journy around Tokyo (I think it was a Sat in the rain). So to my question: does anyone ever make similar journey from Narita and does it make any sense to take a more direct route on local roads avoiding the Tokyo ring road. Any quicker or best to take chances on the Expressway? Thanks

Originally Posted By: torihada
Planning my route to NE Gunma from Narita later this week. Last time I let the sat nav take me via Funabashi, ring road round Tokyo and up the Tohoku Expressway to Tatebayshi. It was a very slow journy around Tokyo (I think it was a Sat in the rain). So to my question: does anyone ever make similar journey from Narita and does it make any sense to take a more direct route on local roads avoiding the Tokyo ring road. Any quicker or best to take chances on the Expressway? Thanks

Local roads from Narita - are you kidding, slow, traffic lights every 100m. Stick to the expressway!

Wow you must be a gluten for punishment, like the others said forget the local roads, unless you enjoy spending all your holiday just to get there.

Best route, go up the Higashi kanto express way, then onto shutoku then connect to kanetsu which will take you all the way up Northern Gunma or even into Niigata.

Not off to northern Gunma - I'm off to Ota (18 miles west of Maebashi)- obviously not for the snow. If there's a dump I'll sneak up to Kawaba for a day. I am a glutton for punishment, I just love driving at 20 mph for 100 miles with no overtaking behind ojisan farmer in his 20 yr old 700 cc pickup violin