First season in Japan -- Heading to Hakuba in January. Some questions re driving there.

Hey guys,

I am new to the boards. My wife and I are avid snow sports fans (she skis and I board). We moved to Tokyo in October, with my company for a 2 to 3 year stint here. This will be our first winter here.

I have a car (a Nissan Bluebird Sylphy) and I would like to drive up to Hakuba in January with a group of expats (it's cheaper and easier for us to drive versus taking the bullet train -- and we want to have a car so that we can get supplies and such as we are renting a house up there).

How necessary will it be to get snow chains? In the states I would always get chain up near the resorts -- should I get them here in Tokyo or wait to get them nearer Nagano?

Also -- anyone know where I can get a roof rack mounted to the Slyphy? I have a snowboard and ski rack -- but I need to get a rail system mounted to the car.

Thanks -- and sorry for all the noob questions.

Welcome

1. You will need snow chains or snow tyres. I wouldn't even think about taking a trip to the mountains without one of them.

2. Roofrack - I would take a look at Autobacs, this shop as many types of racks, just make sure your rack fits the correct rails.

Some countries I have visited have little stalls on the side of the road where you can buy/rent chains and have them installed on your way to the mountains. If this is what you mean by "get chain up near the resorts", be aware that I haven't ever seen this system over here, so chains might become a several hour detour as you search local towns for an autobacs or whatever. **Get them in Tokyo**, and judging by my experience of buggering about for 45 minutes in a blizzard in the dark, would suggest you experiment putting them on as a trial before you take the drive.

Snow tyres ("studless") are the bomb however and would highly recommend them instead of chains - as an "avid snow sports fan", surely you are planning a few trips.

For the roofrack, ask at the same place where you buy your chains/tyres... they will either help you out themselves or point you in the right direction.

I would love to get snow tires -- but I have no place to stash my regular tires. And I drive daily 40km back and forth to work. I think I would rather just get some chains.

Plus I would have to get a second set of wheels for the snow tires. Even if they are just steel wheels -- the costs start to add up.

I will look into Autobacs for a rack system and the tire chains. Thanks!

Not being funny, but if you can afford it between you rent a 4wd with snow tyres. No need to mess about with chains then.

I once had a front wheel drive and put snow chains on it, but got stuck, had to get a 4wd to pull us out. After that I bought a 4wd.

If of course you plan to just stick to the main routes that are kept fairly clear then snow tyres and chains on a 2wd car will be no problem at all, but if you plan to go off road or down small lanes, then forget 2wd you will get stuck if the snow is anything more than a few inches deep.