Interesting NPO/ NGO Projects- Help needed

Need to once again leverage a bit of useful info from all you knowledgeable lot!!

I need to find a subject for a documentary with Kyodo TV about some kind of NPO/NGO conservation/ education project. My brief was really broad, basically it has to be a japanese based group working on a project in an exotic location, and helping either a non main stream animal/ group or project. For example, one group I am exploring is the Japan Burkina Fasso Foundation who help to build schools and water wells in rural areas of the african country. Another is a group who try to educate fishermen in Mauritania (North East Africa) on how to create a sustainable fishing business, currently their biggest export. Groups helping Elephants/ Monkeys/ Turtles, etc unfortunately are too mainstream, so the more obscure the better, and the more endangered also!

Therefore if anyone is involved or knows of any projects akin to this then I would greatly appreciate the help! Countries of particular interest are Africa, Peru and South East Europe.

Originally Posted By: farquah
Another is a group who try to educate fishermen in Mauritania (North East Africa) on how to create a sustainable fishing business, currently their biggest export.

A Japanese group educating on sustainable fishing methods....oh the irony!!

Sorry Farquah I am about as useful as a chocolate teapot, I have no knowledge...good luck though thumbsup
Quote:

A Japanese group educating on sustainable fishing methods....oh the irony!!

haha. There are actually a few groups trying to change things both internationally and in Japan. Basically f they want to keep eating the ampount of Tuna they do, then it has to change!

There is no sustainable way to eat the amount of tuna Japan does, unless the rest of the world wants to forgo their share for the sake of Japan's kaiten sushi.

But back to the original post, how about contacting an NGO that works with prostitutes in Thailand or somewhere lese in Asia? Japan is one of the main consumers of this type of 'service', and while you may be able to keep the blatently obvious out of the doc, i think it would be good for Japanese people to see what the girls (and boys) are going through.

Oyuki- Good suggestion but I doubt it is in line with what they are looking for. As I am acting in more of a consultant form I don't have final decision, but I may do some research and see what groups are involved in that from Japan. To be honest though I think it would be too close to the bone for a Japanese TV company to pick up on. I have seen a documentary from the BBC I think in a similar vain though. Do you know of any groups involved directly with this at all? What projects are you involved with? I know you do things within Japan but any that involve other areas as well?

Any other suggestions out there? No SJ activists/ philanthropists have causes they want to trumpet?!

Hell, you can do a report on me and my friends who are trying to raise awareness as skiers and snowboarders about Global Warming here in Nagano. We are holding events and distributing flyers and stuff.

But i think you guys want something more exotic than that. Its not in an exotic locale either, but how about Food Not Bombs? They've been around for a long while, but are doing great work in a number of countries.

When I was a JET in Sendai we used to run yearly habitat for humanity groups and built houses in locations like Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Fiji.

Im not too sure whether the group is still going, whether it is non-mainstream enough and whether it would be useful at all as it was predominately westerners participating in the trips...?