Is this for car nav or outdoors? I've got a Garmin Legend HCX which I use for navigating on my MTB and hiking. I've got UK topgraphical maps (Garmin) with it. I can get Europe (patchy)and USA (all at a cost) but Asia gets tricky and if I wanted to bring it to Japan I'd either have the very basic mapping (motorways, major roads and cities only) or could buy some 3rd party software such as this which is in Romaji.

I assume handheld GPS devices sold in Japan would have good mapping/software but is only good if you can read/write Kanji.

Just as important as the maps on the device is the mapping software you use to plan & review your routes on your computer. For UK I use memory map, but you can get Memory Map maps for USA, Australia, Canada, South Africa,France & Germany. Full UK coverage with MM is about GB£200. The Garmin software for planning that comes bundled with the GPS is too basic compared to MM for any real route planning. There are other similar mapping software options like Tracklogs.

Unfortunately I think you will not find any handheld devices with preloaded USA, Asia, Europe mapping to be of any use. (Though someone out there may have better info)

The amount of storage needed to hold that amount of data would be enormous.(I select and upload the topo mapping to the device relevant to the area I'm visiting at that time).

Thanks, I have been doing some research and found out that you can use Garmin or Magellan in asia but there won't be many details unless you buy it here or install the software like you said.

Anyways, I decided to go with a V.I.O. POV 1 as my xmas present to myself rather than a gps.

If you have a U.S. Garmin there is some third party topo maps available for Japan. Cant remember the name right off but there was some info over on the avi section of the section of the forums.

Originally Posted By: quattro
If you have a U.S. Garmin there is some third party topo maps available for Japan. Cant remember the name right off but there was some info over on the avi section of the section of the forums.

3rd party Japanese map for Garmin GPS This is 1:25000 detail, which is pretty good.

I had a look at their site, (did a quick google of the name in the OP)it quoted around 700 dollars, but NFI whether that be USD, AUD or HKD. It would be nice if people indicated the currency they are quoting, especially on websites as there is no guarantee that the viewer is in the same country!

:rant off: