Headcam & snowboarding: bulletcam position?

I'm interested in anyone else using a headcam (snowboarders only as this problem doesn't apply to skiers);

My headcam video suffers from 'tilt' due to the nature of boarding. My MTB video is fine (unless I'm crashing) as I'm always pointing fwd. At present my bullet cam is attached to the right side of my helmet at eye level. If you use a headcam do you take into account the tilt by overcompensating when you position the cam? Do you have it on the side of the helmet/head or on top? Or is my riding the problem? Any tips appreciated, cheers.

I don't have a head cam or anything but I am a keen (but amateur) videographer and I would say there's no real tips other than what you've stated yourself!

I'd say your riding style and how you hold your head has a great deal to do with the way you need to position your camera. You can't really change that either because depending on how long you've been boarding for it may be more difficult than you think.

When it comes to mountain biking I can see why its a different story - your looking where your going and your head can remain relatively straight while your at it. The problem with snowboarding is that you ride sideways. Now even though your head is twisted to help you look forward, your head will not actually go the full 90 degrees and point to where your going - your eyes will compensate for the last 20 odd degrees.

So mounting your camera straight on wont work, but in theory finding what angle you head rests at while riding, and compensating for that with the positioning of your camera, would produce the best results...

Really hit and miss but if you go for what I've suggested (which is really just a re-has of what you said lol) you should get most of your video looking really good.

Cheers!

Check out this helmet with built in wireless MP4 camera; I believe it has anti vibration technology too.

http://new.snowboardfusion.com/product/145665/Boeri+Tactic+Camera+Helmet+-+Mens++2009 or http://www.boeriusa.com or http://www.larryadler.com/Ski_Store/Equipment/Helmets/Boeri_Helmet_Tactic_Camera.cfm

I do know that you need you own MP4 bluetooth device or buy it from them too.

The boeri helmet would have the same issues as a bullet cam for snowboarders; what with sliding sidewise. I imagine also the video spec is p**s poor as they give no spec as to camera (how many lines, is it cmos?). I imagine it would be poor phone video quality.

I've managed to slim my kit down to a nice vio sport bullet cam (520 lines) with waterproof leads/connectors into a slimline solid state DV recorder (records 640 x 480 to a SD card, small enough to fit into a cigarette pkt) with a Lanc controler (wired remote). So now it fits under my jkt & I switch it on/off when I want. Previously I had to carry a mini DV camcorder in a pelican case in a rucksac. What a pain. New system is bombproof; tested by some major high speed offs while mtb'ing over the last 12 mnths; this one here; ouch resulted in a grade III shoulder seperation. doh This is quite compressed video footage, my end results are probably SVHS quality. Right I'll get off my geek soapbox now.

Also check out the ATC-5000 Wireless helmet camera. That's also got a small LCD screen at the rear of the camera to preview what you're filming which is not a bad idea. I have filmed entire runs with the camera p*ssed and its very frustrating. It also has a wireless remote so you could start/stop recording without having to faff around taking your helmet off. UK price GB£145 with 4 gb card which given the strength of the Yen might be the way to buy (about ni mai Yen or about US$210).

The next stage up for integral units is the VholdR wireless helmet camcorder but is a bit pricier. By this price stage you're getting close to bullet cams and solid state recorders which are much better quality but you've got cables trailing off your helmet.

Problem with that Oregon one is difficulty in setting it up and positioning - no screen to help. Not expensive though and you can get some pretty decent coverage from it.

I do a lot of image stabilization using Adobe After Effects....absolutely brilliant results though it depends heavily what's in your shot. Helmet cam videos of your run won't really work, but if you do what I do and film some one else you can simply use them as the reference for the stabilization.

Kinda expensive software though and you need to know what your doing.

Scratch that.