Originally Posted By: snowhunter
I am a country girl through and through. My first visit to Toyko was a little scary but then a visit to Sydney is also a big deal for me. veryshocked

lol When I was travelling in Oz, after living here, my friends were all overawed with Sydney, the down town area near to the Rocks with all the big office buildings etc, they were saying whata big city etc etc. I had to disagree though, I thought it was nice and peaceful city after living in the hustle and bustle of Tokyo lol
Originally Posted By: thursday
come to Hong Kong.

No thanks. Never have been and never will. I suspect just another hot and polluted Asian city with huge disparities between rich and poor. Seen enough of them to last me a lifetime already. I'm sure it has some good points epecially if you're one of the rich ones but not for me. I just don't like cities very much. It's like I've never understood why people would want to go to New York or London. If I'm in the US I want to go to the mountains and if I was in the UK I'd do the same (even if they only have hills).

I used to live in Meidaimae (sp?) which is about 7-8mins from both Shinjuku and Shibuya and I could happily live there again.

The things I loved about this area was it had parks...with grass, there was a canal and a small river, you could walk to the west side of the Yamanote line in 45-50 minutes which meant you could walk home after work, it was quiet yet close enough to major train lines and roads that you could get away with relative ease, and it had just about everything needed in the city to live comfortably.

I didn't stumble upon this area, i looked into it and decided that this was the type of area that I wanted to live in and I think that is the same for everyone. If you don't like the car, don't buy it...the suburb, don't live there, the country, don't go there. wakaranai

I can definately see whay people love it and hate it but for me it was a city that lives and breathes (still does), it has atmostphere, with so many people it is creative, it is well priced when you live there (in my opinion cheaper than Melbourne or Sydney and way cheaper than London or Paris), has amazing food, fashion, design etc and has areas that are designated for certain things which makes a day out shopping/window shopping easy because you go to one place and enjoy it.

The trains are a pain in the arse but in summer you buy a bike and ride and you can even do that for most of winter with the right gear. Cars, who needs them in the city and once you are out of peak hour the trains aren't any different to any major city in the world and Tokyo has an amazing train infarstructure that can get you almost anywhere with little to no hassle.

Everyone has their own opinion but for me it is the best city in the world... thumbsup

i lived in Shinjuku in the early 90's for a number of years. Coming from a small town background in the UK , getting a decent salary, it was heaven....i had a great time.

Even now i go back to Shinjuku to see some of the old bars (always seem to change)

I'm with GN wouldnt want to live there again. But great memory and great to go back.

I can only handle Tokyo in short doses. Good music shopping, and i hve some friends i like to visit, but other than that, not much interests me, unless some band i want to see is playing.

Places i usually visit in Tokyo

The homeless village in Yoyogi koen- One of the tents functions as a cafe, where you can get tea or coffee. But not money allowed, it works on the barter system! Always interesting and friendly people there, and someone usually brings snacks to share. Has the nicest ambiance of any cafe in Tokyo in the summer!

Korinbo- a Taiwanese vegetarian ramen shop in the mall in Nakano. The lady there is super nice! And the food is delish.

Irregular Rythmn Asylum, an alternative media/Cd/zine/hangout spot in Shinjuku. Always cool people there, and always some new reading material. A great place to meet Japanese kids who try to think critically about their own culture. And get info on activism around Japan.

Disk Union Shinjuku- I usually go to the punk floor, and see what used stuff they have. Lots of rare ska.

Koenji is always fun to visit, and i usually meet friends in Kichijoji for all-you-can-eat vegetarian curry buffets there.

Other than that, Tokyo doesn't do much for me.