Anyone here been laid off or know someone who has?

A friend of mine has just been told that their services are no longer required and won't have a job come January. His company - here in Kobe - is laying off over 50 staff.

Brings it all close to home in a way.

Me! I got told that December would be my last month earlier this week. Seems life is about to change quite suddenly. Still thinking through what to do - try and find something here or leave Japan and go back to family base...

My company almost went broke and was then bought by another company that sort of offered us jobs that they knew we wouldn't take and so we all left - does that count? it wasn't so bad, particularly being asked to hang around for 6 mths on double pay, just in case we were needed and then to still have the payout cashola in US dollars when the Aussie went belly up so when the cash was finally sent home it was 30% more than anticipated....all in all, this is a pretty good recession! I feel a bit like Robert Duvall's Col Kilgore character from Apocalypse Now - Some day this “recession†is going to end......

Depends on your situation, it could be a liberating experience that gives you an opportunity to take stock of what is important and maybe even have a go at doing something that you've wanted to do but couldn't quite bring yourself to. It is so very hard to give up a secure job, even one that you hate, and take a chance.

On the other hand it could be the end of the world if you have a mortgage and school payments and debt and a family to support when the job market is shrinking rapaidly. Maybe even then it might be worth having a go at something completely different. After all, what have you got to lose?

Originally Posted By: thursday
double pay? nice gig. You sat around for 6 months knocking off early to go swimming and gyming. Life is good.

Yes. It all came to an end 3 weeks earlier than it should have when they finally realised I had done literally nothing for the previous 5 months. We reached a gentlemen's agreement that we would bring my end date forward wink Oh well, it was bound to finish one day. It turned out to be a good thing because it meant I was well ensconsed in my new job by the time Lehmans went under the world took a turn for the worse. Had I kept my original timeframe I might be working as a lifty in niseko right now...... confused In hindsight I wonder.....

Lot of it about.

I made contact with relatives in the UK because we are going over in a couple of weeks and was informed that the hubby had recently been packaged out (GlaxoKlineSmith), if he can find other work in the next 6 months he will do well out of it - if not could be tough.

Here in Oz there has been a lot on the TV about 150 people laid off at this factory, 200 at that firm...etc but it has not hit anyone I personally know. However we had a bizarre experience this week with a number of our part time packing staff stealing....obviously with the belt tightening a few light fingers got busy!! We had to sack a few - works for us because the quality of staff we can hire now is HIGHER than it was a few months back - the pool from which to draw is larger. But I just don't understand why people would jeopardise thier steady employment in this current market for the quick 'extra' of stealing some product..... slap....especially as Papa was off with a manager deciding on amounts for the christmas cash bonuses while they were knocking stuff off..silly silly!

Mr Snowhunter works in the theme park industry and they just went through there and sacked a heap of people. Strange seeing as they are coming up to peak season wakaranai I guess that is the risk when you are owned by Americans who are not doing well.

I think that is Karma for those idiot employees who were caught stealing MB - lets see them try and find a job out there at the moment and now they have lost their christmas bonuses (SUCKED IT). I am in Small Business so I know how hard it is with staff especially when there are large amounts of cash that come over the counter and stock that can easily go for a walk and not be picked up till the next stocktake or ordering. veryangry

Customers down about 20% here. Not allowing staff to cash in paid leave next year (previously done in April). Also staff being told to take their paid leave and work 4 day weeks to avoid laying anyone off.

Some staff complaining but most happy that there are no lay-offs planned.

• 4 weeks later...

a friend of my wife was laid off on Friday 2 Jan. What a start to the year.

She has 2 kids, 1 and 4, a husband who resigned in July 'cos he was overworked and has not found a job since. There's a mortgage needing paying too.

My wife says she's a virgo, so very liekly not be able to take this very long. wakaranai

Both worked in interior design.

Supposedly many companies were postponing laying people off until after xmas, so maybe later today and this week we will start to see mass layoffs in the news.